How to paint wood....

....more specifically, on Hasegawa's 1/16 Sopwith Camel.

I've never painted a wood finish, and I'm looking for tips and tricks on how to accomplish this.

What's a good base colour, what type of paints should I use....that kind of thing.

Yes, I've been on youtube and had a bit of a look, but most videos I've seen relate to painting props, not ribs and stringers.  I'm guessing these might be a bit different..

Cheers!

You'll hate this.

I spray the parts with white primer. Then I choose a 'wood' coloured acrylic paint and apply it in the direction of the grain with a flat brush. I keep brushing it until it goes streaky (like wood grain) then stop. When it's dry, it gets a coat of Future

That's it

Progress-5.JPG?i=1223684399

cockpit-1.JPG

complete-1.JPG?i=175753680

Richard

I use a light color like deck tan or buff, acrylic, and let it dry.

Then I brush a dark brown/dark orange oil point, tube type, using a flat, not quite stiff but not soft either brush, along the direction of the grain.

Then I wait for it to dry.  You can wiggle and spin the brush to make wavy lines for the grain.  

This works very well on things like tool handles, and I have seen it used to good effect on larger, flat surfaces.  The nice part is you can modify and even start over with the oil paint using odorless mineral spirits.