Kitty Hawk MH-60L Super 62 "Rude Dude"

Hawkwrench

While waiting for some hobby tools to come in to continue work on Wildcat 097  I began to keep my promise to the crew chief of Super 62, Paul Shannon and build his MH-60L "Rude Dude".

Rude Dude was the original Super 62 in Mogadishu, but was down for an engine change when the Oct.3rd mission began. 

Here's a pic of Rude Dude in Somalia with TF-160.

20201018_151224

So tonight I started on the cabin and cockpit area. The cockpit floor was painted Tamiya NATO Black and the non-slip stripes were painted Tamiya XF-54.
The cabin floor was just shot with a gloss coat so I can lay a AK wash down into the crevices and tiedown areas when it's dried. 

20210726_053710

1 small step in the beginning. More weathering will come later.

Chow for now!

Tim

Today, I was able to get in a little time before I go to work so I began to weather the cockpit to look like a well used 160th bird from Somalia.

I first layed down a layer of Vallejo Jet Exhaust with a sponge to simulate wear caused by the pilot's feet.

Next came a weathering of Mig Africa Dust using a old brush seeing the cockpits and cabins had alot of dust in them.

Next came the various boxes and brake booster assemblies found under the seats.

It's not accurate, but gives it that busy look.

I'll finish up the Copilot side this weekend. 

20210801_172841

Chow for now!

Tim

Well shoot, guess I'm redoing the wear in the cockpit next bench session.

I was just told that the other crew chief of Rude Dude (the 160th has 2 crew chiefs per MH-60L) said they were meticulous about their bird, so it means less wear on the floor.

Doh!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of redoing the cockpit floor, I decided to redo that tomorrow so I went on and tackled the floor armor that the 160th used down in Mogadishu. 

The floor armor is part of the Wernerswings OGS detail set.

I sprayed it with a custom mix of 10 parts Model Air NATO green, 2 parts Mig Light Green Khaki and 1 part Game Color Moon Yellow.

Mixes together, they made the perfect match for the faded OD panels.

I then weathered them with Mig Africa Dust to give it that dusty, desert sand on the floor look.

I also glued tiny Aber PE Wingnuts to the battery cover and glued it into place.

20210815_014714

20210815_014923

Chow for now!

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

I was able to get some time in today on Rude Dude before I start back to work tonight 3rd shift 12 hours. 

Following Pete's Instrument panel and console painting guide, I first painted the IP and center console Tamiya Rubber Black. 

Next up was multiple thin layers of Tamiya black panel line wash followed up by a light drybrush of Vallejo 70862-Black Grey.

Honestly, I don't think the drybrush popped out the highlights like I wanted.

Here's my progress so far. 

20210829_173444

20210829_173421

*Ordered some MM gunship gray for drybrushing & will try again.*

Chow for now!

Tim