Trumpeter F-100C

Finn

26 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Same core kit with a new tail. 

But at least we have an F-100C, -D and -F.

F:

https://www.1999.co.jp/image/10702868/30/1

I could live very happily with the kits' Trumpeterness if we got a brace of Sixes and Voodoos.

Tony

So the same wings from the "D" kit?  Hmmmm.....

4 hours ago, Tony T said:

Same core kit with a new tail. 

But at least we have an F-100C, -D and -F.

F:

https://www.1999.co.jp/image/10702868/30/1

I could live very happily with the kits' Trumpeterness if we got a brace of Sixes and Voodoos.

Tony

I fully agree. I would prefer as well a Trumpeter kit with its idiosyncrasies rather than no kit at all!

I was looking at the C pics , and my wife spotted the pic below, and nudged me, "Are those marking in the kit", "Yes" I replied, "Well your getting that one  aren't you"    Not wishing to disrupt domestic harmony , I mumbled "Yes dear" 

Looks like I have a F-100C in my future  ;)

PS I love my wife!

10757610t2.jpg

I also love the fact that she's forgotten I have an unfinished 48th scale C in these markings in in the loft ! 

Well technically it has the same issues as the 1/32 D & F so  the nose in hosed and the back end , a little "out" but  so you pay your money , or not  depending on how invested you are in accuracy.

Since the C is for my wife , and her love of multi coloured aircraft I can live with the issues other modellers I'm sure have different opinions :shrug:

Actually the positive aspect is the fact all the correction sets for the D can be used on a C (as on the F). The only partial exception being the cockpit. The negative aspect is the fact they could have corrected the most obvious errors for long. However who else will ever release a large scale C Supersabre? Trumpeter can be frustrating but at least they go on releasing interesting topics (albeit with a slower pace).

22 hours ago, Mr.T said:

So this one has the same nose and tail inaccuracies as the 1/48 F-100C if I see and understood correctly and possibly issues with the wings?

As far as I can tell, the only issue with the wings is they are too thin. This, combined with the too-tall main gear tires, causes the model to sit almost level, instead of with the F-100's characteristic nose-up attitude. It's easily fixed by replacing the kit wheels with resin replacements (I found Renaissance's to just be copies of the kit wheels) and cutting ~3 mm from the tops of the struts for the 1/32 kits. 

Ben

The wing wheel wells are moulded into the lower wing half. 

I don't know if the Aires wells enhance the kit much or just cause extra work...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE2072

The key thing that bothers me is the too-long F canopy hood. I'm guessing sawing off 5-6mm or so from the rear of the hood, fixing that to the fuselage spine, and re-engraving the rear of the hood would work.

Sawing the MLG legs down 3mm as noted by Ben, above, replacing the nose inlet and extending the wing drop tanks with plugs pretty much takes care of all offending items. Quinta studio cockpit panels would probably look better than the very flat Eduard etch, but the cost of the Hun can spiral quickly.

Tony