How about that: New Russain Fighter - Sukhoi "Checkmate"...

They say it will cost between 25-30m US dollars. Really competitive, if that is the case, for a 5th gen. A block 70 F-16 would cost more than double that, so I really doubt if that is the correct figure. Or are we coming down the "S" line for the 5th gen aircraft so everyone can buy a few with a reasonable price? 

I remember a few years back the Russian air ministry  said that 4th Gen was sufficient but it seem that someone changed their minds. Considering how long it's taken them to get the Su-57 into something resembling operational service I be amazed if this new design will be operational anytime before 2035 

6 hours ago, frank83 said:

To me it seems like a hybrid child of a few aircraft: F-35 for sure, a bit of X-32 by the intake, and maybe another bit of M,g. 1.44.

I read it will have thrust vectoring, that may be interesting considering the mid size of the aircraft.

It's a "tad" more realistic than what was proposed as the ultimate Iranian super dooper stealthy attack future "8th"generation fighter......yeah right......

I would suggest that this is a marketing depts design and a profile raiser for the company and that the real aircraft will bear little to no resemblance to it at all

BAE did the same with the Tempest the mock up everyone has seen was designed by the marketing dept, the actual  Tempest will /looks nothing like it 

Some remarks to be agreed with, some not...

It may resemble the F-35 partially, that is true. But we are not living in the 50's or 60's, when every designer had his own concept and the results looked as different as the Mig-21 and the F-4. Today it is the software that shapes the aircraft and similar requirements / inputs yield similar designs. It is like the Formula 1 cars... Can you blame the teams for how the cars look alike?

True that mockups may not resemble the end product and very rightly so, for two reasons: You may not wish to display your secret design until the very end and even if you choose to do so, your design is likely to evolve dramatically from the launching design phase to the service entry stage, even after when the design evolution continues.

Last but not least, aviation history (both east and west) is full of examples of cool stuff that never came to production. And producing very high-end technological real stuff is somewhat much harder and more expensive than producing scale plastic versions of them, obviously. Otherwise it would not take 30 years to develop the F-35, would it? ... Not to mention how controversially "developed" it still is.

Aesthetically speaking, I can say I find the overall lines of the aircraft pleasing, save the intake.

Edited by IvanVasili

14 hours ago, Markjames1968 said:

BAE did the same with the Tempest the mock up everyone has seen was designed by the marketing dept, the actual  Tempest will /looks nothing like it 

I pray to all sorts of divine forces that you're right.  And that it will look better.  The mockup looks positively awkward.