MH-60T Jayhawk water rescue

Hey all,

…while I continue to chip away at my Little Bird/Killer Egg, I couldn’t resist starting on the next big project; which will be a USCG MH-60T Jayhawk. Floyd Werner of Werners Wings is wrapping up a Jayhawk conversion for the HH-60H. I have the base kit, and am patiently waiting on the conversion. If you missed it, look here-

Click me

…anyhoo..this will be an inflight display similar to my Pavehawk, but the base will be the open Ocean, either off the coast of the Carolina’s or Mar Pacifica by San Diego, where our Jayhawk crew is plucking a Hornet driver out of the water ..who’s bad day is about to get better.

So while I wait for Floyd’s conversion, I thought I’d start on the survivor. I grabbed the perfect raft-rider from Reedoak, and started a few mods-

First was the inflated LPU out of Apoxie Clay. More to do here, but you get the idea..

TssYL8A.jpg

Lc8nVEi.jpg

and then a new left arm

jz3Zmpr.jpg

VbVzqbl.jpg

Then I mocked-up the raft

lHe6tSs.jpg

I considered pressing on with this scratched raft. My plan was to wrap the basic shape in Apoxie Clay sheets and build up the shape, but then I stumbled on this 1/35 dingy from Mastercrafters for the German S Boat. Seeing as I am a path of least resistance kinda guy, I decided to change rafts mid stream..

N58L0Xl.jpg

I cut a chunk out of the dinghy to get it the right size. I popped his left arm off to make it easier to paint his face later on-

rIEzw19.jpg

and now I’m cleaning this up and modifying it to be more representative of the current aircrew survival raft

2wGlgEu.jpg

super excited to start the water. I needed to get the raft figured out first, because…well- its going in the water.

more soon-

cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

7 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Pete, how long do you wait to play around with the AP after mixing the 2 parts to keep it not as sticky?

Tim

Hi Tim,

I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then check it. If its too sticky I’ll wait a little longer.

You can use talc or water to help roll it out. If you need to roll it really thin, try some Safety Solvent from Aves:

zJEawzV.jpg

HTH

Pete

Hey all-

the raft-rider got a shot of Tamiya Buff primer. This will serve as a nice base coat for the Vallejo paints to follow-

27ulD7M.jpg

3aI975e.jpg

RXPYLPx.jpg

pretty happy with the way the LPU turned out. Looking forward to painting this guy. It’ll be an interesting challenge, because he’ll be soaking wet from landing in the water-

cheers

Pete

Oh, this is going to be awesome!

You're giving me horrible flashbacks to water survival and attempting to climb into those itty-bitty rafts. If memory serves, there's an inflation bottle on one side (random memory: you were supposed to enter from that side, as invariably it'd try and flip and getting hit in the head by that bottle hurt). Here's a link to DVIDs and all the aviation water survival training.  DVIDS - Search - aviation survival training center (dvidshub.net) Some good pics for reference.  It was good training every 4 years, but always painful.  I finally learned to do it at Miramar vice KNUW. Miramar was outside--the pool at Whidbey was inside, and they'd turn off the lights to simulate  nighttime...sadists!

Wanna go over the top?  Add a mangled knee-board for the intrepid aviator. Here's a video of my old roommate on the Kitty Hawk ejecting during Carrier Quals right before he and I became roommates. I had to go buy him a new knee-board and nav bag as his was trashed / lost.  Never had time to get it off his leg and it stayed on there the entire time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o67iGu3E8Gc

-Peter