1/32 Meng Me163B - Mojo Reclamation Project

Thunnus

18 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Looking mighty fine, John.  Are those depressions for the latches for the spine panels molded in, or did you create those?  

As i mentioned, i have this in the stash so i am gladly taking notes on your work. 

Hey Bill!  Those depression are molded in and are meant to accommodate the actual latches which are supplied as PE parts.

16 hours ago, Jeff T said:

Great work on that gunsight John!....looks very good!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff!  I thought it looked pretty good too until...

15 hours ago, Kais said:

John,
Love your work on the Komet.
Revi look proper nice.
Check how it's mounted, I think you've got it 180degrees reversed.

LOL!  OMG... funny how normal it looked to me even when reviewing the photos of it.  Yes, it is OBVIOUSLY and EMBARRASSINGLY BACKWARDS! :oops: Thank you for pointing this out!  Another LSP member was also kind enough to notify me via PM. Thank you thank you!

5 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Great looking revi sight, John.  I hope that upper hatch goes in easy for you.

Thanks Gaz!  Hopefully, the gun sight looks more... ahem... "functional" now that it has been turned around.  I also replaced the stressed armored panel.

IMG-2601.jpg

Here is the two-part canopy.  The clear part, dipped in Future to enhance clarity, has been glued onto the canopy frame by carefully seeping Tamiya Extra Thin into the seam.  I'd much rather have this molded as a single clear piece like almost any other manufacturer would have done.  Why reinvent the wheel?
IMG-2605.jpg

IMG-2604.jpg

On 9/14/2021 at 12:51 AM, Thunnus said:

I'd much rather have this molded as a single clear piece like almost any other manufacturer would have done.

If I'm reading you correctly you're concerned with the (barely) visible glued joint. If so, pre-paint the frame and the contact surface of the clear part and the joint won't show. I've done this and attached clear parts with Tamiya Extra Thin and was happy with the result.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:25 AM, Kahunaminor said:

Nice job on the canopy John!

indeed why Meng chose this method escapes me.

Regards,

Kent

Thanks Kent!  I appreciate it!

On 9/14/2021 at 1:05 AM, dodgem37 said:

Well done.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark!

9 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

If I'm reading you correctly you're concerned with the (barely) visible glued joint. If so, pre-paint the frame and the contact surface of the clear part and the joint won't show. I've done this and attached clear parts with Tamiya Extra Thin and was happy with the result.

Thanks for the suggestion, Woody!  The untreated edge of the clear part will reflect light and make the joint stand out.  I thought about painting these edges with the cockpit color to address this like you have suggested but was too lazy to actually do it.  Since the fit of the clear part to the frame was pretty good with fairly consistent contact along the joint, I elected to carefully seep Tamiya Extra Thin into the joint, which served to darken that contact side of the clear part, although not with 100% consistency.  Not perfect but acceptable, IMO.

I still hold that this arrangement is unnecessary and that a single piece clear part with the frame molded around the canopy yields a much cleaner result with less effort.

Great work John! If anyone can make this kit shine, you can. I’m with you completely. I’d much rather mask and paint a molded frame than risk an obvious glue seam. I probably would have attached it with Future, but your way is definitely more secure!

Cheers,  Tom

11 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Great tip Woody! I’ll remember that for next time. Model on John!

Cheers,  Tom

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Beaconroot said:

Just wanted to check in. Looking forward to your latest updates when you get back to work. Hope the fishing is doing well for you.

Jim Root

Hi Jim,

Thanks for asking!  My bass fishing season just wrapped up but there have been lots of little engagements here and there that have distracted me from the modeling bench.  I've been checking out LSP pretty faithfully and that usually starts fueling my modeling fire.  It looks like I have some free time coming up this weekend so hopefully I can make some more progress on the Komet!