1/32 Meng Me163B - Mojo Reclamation Project

Thunnus

This is looking very promising, I don't normally build Luftwaffe subjects but a few years ago I built the Revell 219 as a distraction build as I had been in the modelling doldrums, and it worked, hope the same happens for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Nice upgrades, John! I do wonder if the treaded tyres are accurate for the Komet, though, as I've never noticed them in photos before. Most other options I've seen (admittedly in kits and aftermarket products) have featured smooth tyres, taken from late-war 109s.

Kev

On 7/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, dennismcc said:

This is looking very promising, I don't normally build Luftwaffe subjects but a few years ago I built the Revell 219 as a distraction build as I had been in the modelling doldrums, and it worked, hope the same happens for you.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis!  I think it is working!  I've been pretty consistent getting some modeling bench time the past few days.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:43 AM, Citadelgrad said:

It's getting exciting!

Thanks Bill!  I appreciate you checking in!

20 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice upgrades, John! I do wonder if the treaded tyres are accurate for the Komet, though, as I've never noticed them in photos before. Most other options I've seen (admittedly in kits and aftermarket products) have featured smooth tyres, taken from late-war 109s.

Kev

I'm not really sure about the tires, Kevin.  DEF Model offers both treaded and smooth versions and I went with the treaded ones because they are more visually interesting.  The kit tires, FWIW, are treaded as well.  Since the wheel trolley is ejected after take-off, I am going under the assumption that any set of tires could be matched to any 163, increasing the chances that my tire choice COULD be plausible.

18 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

There’s only one problem that I can think of John,

You’re going to do such an amazing job on this build that I’m going to want to buy one too. Drat and double drat you John!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks so much Wolf!  I hope that is the case but right now, I'm just happy that I'm moving forward on a project again.

I was able to do some work on the Aires instrument panel.  The first thing to do is to remove the photoetch panel faces from the sprue.  I recommend doing this and cleaning up the sprue attachments now instead of painting the faces on the brass fret.
IMG-2452.jpg

This center panel has two separate instrument bezels that help to build up the 3D relief of the instrument panel face. I use Future as a glue to attach the bezels.
IMG-2453.jpg

With the attachment stubs filed off with a sanding stick, I place the photetch faces to the resin instrument panel to check fit.  This particular panel is a bit more complicated than most in that the resin panel has raised features that poke through the brass panels.  This aids in alignment but will make the placement of the acetate backing a little more complicated.
IMG-2454.jpg

The brass faces are removed and readied for paint.  I've tacked them on to the sticky side of a yellow Post-It.
IMG-2455.jpg

I've elected to use Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 to prime the brass parts before painting them RLM 66 Dark Grey.
IMG-2458.jpg

While I let that dry overnight, I've repaired the whip antenna with a piece of wire attached to the end. I've also glued the wing attachment inserts onto the fuselage sides.  There is detail molded onto these parts as it would be visible if the cannon covers were posed open.

IMG-2457.jpg

I've also started to assemble the retractable skid assembly.
IMG-2442.jpg

Edited by Thunnus
Fixed photo links

Continuing with the assembly of the Aires instrument panel, the major pieces are spray painted RLM 66 Dark Grey.  This is also the appropriate time to do some detail painting.  I've chosen to highlight the bezels around each instrument primarily in black but also one in yellow and couple in blue.
IMG-2460.jpg

The clear acetate is stuck face-down onto the sticky side of a Post-It and the gauge areas are sprayed in white.
IMG-2461.jpg

IMG-2462.jpg

When you flip the acetate over, you'll see that the white provides necessary contrast with the black print to create finely detailed instrument faces.  And the shiny side of the acetate replicates the glass instrument dials nicely.
IMG-2463.jpg

A quick check of the center instrument cluster to see how the acetate lines up with the painted photoetch.  You want to finish the photoetch parts at this stage, including the flat coat, in order to preserve the shiny acetate faces of the dials.
IMG-2464.jpg

The acetate instrument clusters are carefully cut out using scissors and glued onto their corresponding photoetch panels, making sure that all of the the instruments are centered.  I used white glue for this step.
IMG-2465.jpg

I haven't glued the photoetch panels to the resin instrument panel since there is some detail painting that I still need to do on that resin piece.

Hi John,

Great work! Just one detail: the temperature indicator was painted red, not yellow (see photo below). And one other smaller detail: the instrument at the bottom right was a thrust indicator with a knob in the center of the dial, but it was not installed in all Me 163s (see second photo).

Cheers,

Roger

bede30c7e9dc55fc75ba5ba182fdafe2.jpg

deliveryService?id=NASM-NASM2020-00166&m

Edited by VintageEagle

13 hours ago, VintageEagle said:

Hi John,

Great work! Just one detail: the temperature indicator was painted red, not yellow (see photo below). And one other smaller detail: the instrument at the bottom right was a thrust indicator with a knob in the center of the dial, but it was not installed in all Me 163s (see second photo).

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger!  I was going with either red or yellow and it looks like I chose wrongly!  Not the first time.  I'll see what I can do but I may choose to leave it as to not muck up what I've already done.

Continuing with work in the cockpit... the instrument panel has been permanently assembled and a few photoetch details have been added.  The yellow gauge has been changed to red, as pointed out by Roger.  Before I call the instrument panel done, I will perform some light weathering on it, mostly dry-brushing with a lighter color.
IMG-2467.jpg

Most of the cockpit sub-areas have been assembled and ready for paint.  I shaved the sides of the cockpit tub down to make it fit within the fuselage halves, which was pretty simple work.  In addition to the small resin and photoetch parts, I've added some additional wiring.
IMG-2471.jpg

IMG-2473.jpg

IMG-2474.jpg

Here's a quick check of the resin cockpit fitted into the fuselage, including the already painted instrument panel.  I've added Archer's rivets and some wiring to the decking behind the rear quarter windows.
IMG-2475.jpg

IMG-2476.jpg

IMG-2477.jpg

IMG-2478.jpg

IMG-2479.jpg

Painting of the cockpits will be coming soon but I still have to do the seatbelts.  I think I'm going to try and fashion my own harnesses using the buckle hardware from the Aires cockpit set and foil.