Close ups of primer coat reveal stuff. Couple questions

I airbrush in my garage.  Its clean but not a clean room. 

i just posted up photos of my primer coat, which i laid down with a new Iwata i picked up today. 

to my dismay, there appear to be dust, etc in the primer coat. 

8SNssC.jpg

although a new airbrush, i dont think this was spitting.  I think dust landed on the model?   Either way, is this something that i can polish off with very fine polishing pads? 

i washed the model before painting, and i looked at it under the optivisor before i painted, it was SMOOTH.  

i also thinned the primer with mr self leveling primer at about 30%, even though its a no thinner needed primer.  The tip stayed clesr the entire session, but i was spraying for quite a while. 

ideas?  

Totally normal as mentioned above and it's due to dust particles landing on the paint.  No big deal at all- just sand the crap off with fine sandpaper or fine sanding cloths.  It will come out out a bit streaky looking but since it's a primer coat, you'll never see it after a first coat of the primary color, which will also likely attract more crap.  Sand it off too and spot paint, which can turn into a never ending repair session, but in the end, worth it.  Without exaggeration, I might take 30 trips to the spray booth to get my paint finish looking flaw free.

Cheers,

Chuck

• 1 month later...

My guess is that, the dust was there on the model before you started spraying. So, I am thinking the dust that was already there got sealed with the layer of paint. I believe I've seen something like that before, but with a hand brushed model.

Edited by Treehugger

Sanding dust will certainly be deep inside the thin crevices where you just can't reach with a toothbrush. 

When I get ready to paint I always blow out these areas with  a shop compressor and soft tip blow gun with modest air pressure. 

Your airbrush at 10- 15 psi stirs up that dust which them lands in your wet paint.