1/32 Kittyhawk T-28 B/D Trojan- Panels, seams and rivets

Brett M

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Kittyhawk T-28 B/D Trojan- Engine work

Glad to see this build continuing, and looking good!  Can I ask what your overall impressions of the kit are?  I've been wanting to build one of these as a Royal Laotian Air Force bird (part of my current reading obsession with the secret Vietnam war in Laos and Cambodia).  Been on the fence about this or a 1:48 kit.  I would do this one if it was great.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Glad to see this build continuing, and looking good!  Can I ask what your overall impressions of the kit are?  I've been wanting to build one of these as a Royal Laotian Air Force bird (part of my current reading obsession with the secret Vietnam war in Laos and Cambodia).  Been on the fence about this or a 1:48 kit.  I would do this one if it was great.

Thanks Alex. So far, no complaints against the kit. The panels are crisp, rivets nice and even in depth, panel lines all seem to be very well molded. Maybe my one gripe is some less than positive positioning I just noticed on the nose gear landing bay to cockpit. Either I didn't glue the two assemblies together correct or the fit was incorrect. Otherwise, good stuff so far! Even the instrument panel decals were very well done. 

Brett

On 8/16/2021 at 3:28 AM, bdthoresen said:

Nice work so far, Brett. I had done the exact same thing with the cockpit on my in-progress “D”, got all the way to the engine cowling installation, and stalled. The fit was horrendous on my example, even though many other people building the kit here at LSP had no trouble at all. Something to watch out for. I am currently tinkering with the filling and sanding of the cowling, trying to get to the point of a rescribing. And a full rescribe it will be! 

Keep up the excellent work.

Thor    :ph34r:

Reading last years posts…..and, this is exactly what I’m finding up front too :wacko:

Moved to some of the seams and rivets for little today, not a lot to show. I dislike riveting (or at least, adding rivets back I wipe out) and I'm never really happy with how they turn out, at least till paint helps cover them up. 

Seam smoothed and rivets added back

52337037491_80b518c780_h.jpg

Overall progress shot. I combined both the upper and lower cowling panels for each side, in an attempt to make sure they fit correctly/straight. We'll see if that's a horrible idea soon enough. 

52337535085_54ea8392b9_h.jpg

Since my progress is slow, figured I might share another vice. AKA, Lego's. I've spent entirely too much on these, but.....they are fun. Last one I built. 

52337340234_4a5162fb32_h.jpg

And just one from our national parks road trip in July. It's hotter now (in Utah) than it was then! 102F/39C

Sadly, no close encounters.

52337274533_d14987b70e_h.jpg

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Kittyhawk T-28 B/D Trojan- Panels, seams and rivets

Lovely progress Brett!

I know all about having a Lego addiction.....

Been into building Lego since I was a kid. 

Just ordered a MOC of the Star Wars AT-AT.

Still Mini-fig scale like the creators kit, but with some shape tweeks and an overall better looking model.

Fun stuff to get the MoJo going.

I swore blind I’d never buy the Super Sized (and priced) Star Wars Lego Sets. I now have the Millenium Falcon, AT-AT Walker, Mos Eisely and I’m pretty sure I’ll now get the Star Destroyer because although I wasn’t going to get it due to its obnoxious size I can guarantee I’ll decide I wanted it after all when it goes OOP in December. So yeah, resistance is futile for the most part. Haven’t built any of the large sets yet due to not wanting to move the things in built up form so they will wait until the new house is ready early next year. I can probably resist the planned October release of the giant Razorcrest. I enjoy the Mandolorian series but the ship does nothing for me. No if they ever do an AT-ST to match the AT-AT I’m in trouble. To be fair I’m in trouble for most things original trilogy. Anyway, back to the Trojan…

Enjoying the Trojan build as i won one in the Christmas raffle here this year! Totally enjoyed the lego sidetrack too! We have bins and bins of them…2 of 3 boys loved them and 1 built alot of them and then started designing his own stuff with the blocks from the kits. Many fond memories with legos.

Beautiful work to be sure!

built one a while back…can’t remember having fit issues but I added a resin cockpit and had to add several ounces of pb to the nose, filled the inside of the engine with lead, the oil tank and almost everything in front of the main wheels.

had great fun building it though

Enjoying watching your build!