1/32 Kittyhawk T-28 B/D Trojan- Panels, seams and rivets

Brett M

Well, it's time to get building a model instead of house stuff. My other non LSP build foundered and is stuck on the shelf of doom for now, burned out on electronics and making things fit. 

1630-43.jpg

So, to start things off, I decided that I'd pick up another prop build. I'd been given the Kittyhawk 1/32 T-28 kit by my dad. He'd picked it up to try doing a bigger scale kit (he builds 1/48th), bought a bunch of Eduard etch and subsequently changed his mind and handed it off to me after seeing my Corsair and Dauntless builds. 

What I have so far then:

• Kittyhawk T-28 B/D 
  • Eduard interior 32876
  • Eduard exterior 32391
  • Eduard seatbelts 32877
  • Eduard landing gear bays 32390
  • Eduard masks JX192 (love their masks!)

What's undecided is final scheme, but I'm leaning towards the gloss white/red orange trainer look, as it's not something I've done before. 

Not a lot's happened so far, as I'm going through the cockpit parts and deciding what I'm going to use from the kit and Eduard. I do NOT like the Eduard panels that replace the kits raised detail, so that's not going to happen. But, I'm definitely going to mix in some of the other PE parts with kit parts, along with possibly using the kit instrument decals and panels. We'll see. 

Here's where I am at so far, just trimming, fitting, and placing some of the bigger etch parts. 

51304144370_3ace3d330b_k.jpg

51304144390_5b4e2153f9_k.jpg

51303127711_6dcaa7e841_k.jpg

Cell phone pics for now, sorry about the soft focus. I'll dig out the Nikon and get the tripod going soon though. 

Hope some of you follow along, especially if you've built the kit! 

Thanks all

Edited by Brett M
Title

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 7:14 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Awesome Brett!

I need to get after one of these too someday..my Dad flew them when they were yellow in the late 50’s. Will be watching with enthusiasm! Off to a great start brother!

cheers

Pete

On 7/10/2021 at 7:52 PM, Wolf Buddee said:

Hey Brett,

Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses on this one. :popcorn:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Pete, Wolf. Yellow could be an option.....still up in the air at this point. 

Not a lot of progress, works been busy. But, I'm at least starting to do cockpit painting. 

Rear area of the cockpit dressed in Aircraft Interior Black, little bit of dry brushing (got a bit heavy in place, will tone that down). 

51325512139_ae438d81a4_k.jpg 

Cockpit panels, floor, etc. sprayed in MRP Dark Gull Grey. These will get a bit of weathering to make them used. 

51324991028_817ce50826_k.jpg 

For now, I'm off to do some tests with the instrument decals and see how they look. I'm cutting them out individually, as the grey from the decal isn't even close to MRP. We'll see, hopefully they look decent.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to prove this hasn't already been forgotten <cough> USS Franklin <cough>, I wanted to share what I've had time to complete so far. This is 90% decal so far, then touch up with paint and some dry brushing. The side panels have yet to get any Tamiya flat to even the sheens out, so don't hold that against me....it's rough in places. Hopefully work will slow down a bit and I can spend more time than 30 minutes a few times a week!

Comments, critiques, the normal......have at it gentlemen!

51379924142_36b33ee9df_b.jpg

51379924117_d06c0ed144_b.jpg

51381428519_023d0a4e58_b.jpg

51380925408_69a3e9897e_b.jpg

Wow, it looks tremendous so far Brett!

I was just thinking about the newly purchased C model Trojan in front of me, and how I've built 2 of these and have two in the stash unbuilt, but have never built one for myself!

Just be sure to add an Oz or more in addition to the OOB KHM weights.

Nice work so far, Brett. I had done the exact same thing with the cockpit on my in-progress “D”, got all the way to the engine cowling installation, and stalled. The fit was horrendous on my example, even though many other people building the kit here at LSP had no trouble at all. Something to watch out for. I am currently tinkering with the filling and sanding of the cowling, trying to get to the point of a rescribing. And a full rescribe it will be! 

Keep up the excellent work.

Thor    :ph34r:

On 8/15/2021 at 5:57 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, it looks tremendous so far Brett!

I was just thinking about the newly purchased C model Trojan in front of me, and how I've built 2 of these and have two in the stash unbuilt, but have never built one for myself!

Just be sure to add an Oz or more in addition to the OOB KHM weights.

Thanks Brian! Sounds like you’ve got a project ready ^_^ and thanks for the tip, extra weight to be added.

19 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

:coolio::popcorn:

Thanks Mike!

17 hours ago, bdthoresen said:

Nice work so far, Brett. I had done the exact same thing with the cockpit on my in-progress “D”, got all the way to the engine cowling installation, and stalled. The fit was horrendous on my example, even though many other people building the kit here at LSP had no trouble at all. Something to watch out for. I am currently tinkering with the filling and sanding of the cowling, trying to get to the point of a rescribing. And a full rescribe it will be! 

Keep up the excellent work.

Thor    :ph34r:

Thanks Thor! I’d read through your build too….hope I don’t run into problems like that. But, next build awaits, just in case.

• 11 months later...

Oh wooooooow. Almost a year with nothing, slacking off a lot. I can at least blame a LOT of house renovations for most of this. Hardwoods throughout our main floor, main bath remodel, master bedroom remodel, model room remodel. Busy times!

Not a lot of progress, but I'm trying to get this back going so that I can have something done. Fuselage is together for the Trojan, with the majority of the cockpit work done. There is a type of HUD to go in later, but it's PE so that can wait till I'm ready to attach the windscreen (which, doesn't fit:wacko:). I've yet to tidy up seams but hoping to get to that soon. I did start on the engine as well and, for now, am planning on using the kit wires. They don't look bad so far as I work on cleaning up the flash, but we'll see if they need replacing with lead wire after some paint goes down. 

Anyway, pictures to show progress and hopes to keep me on track/make progress! I've got a F-105G, a F-4C and F-16CJ, all Wild Weasels calling my name.....thought a P-51D/K might come first. 

Push me on, all!

52291491980_7223575fe5_h.jpg

Now I see the past year hasn't been kind. Missing throttle in the rear cockpit.

52290996891_3c41ff833b_h.jpg

52291265484_67b6cebf71_h.jpg 

52291003348_c7551b08cc_h.jpg

And here I made a mistake and placed the weight too far forward prior to checking panel fit. Grinding away with the Dremel....

52291265524_e356ac16cb_h.jpg

Hopefully, more updates in the next week.....not the next year! 

Thanks for browsing

Brett

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Kittyhawk T-28 B/D Trojan- Fuselage together and time flies

looking good. I finished this kit last week, built as a Fennec (amended the gun pod to 2 guns in each pod and built the air scoop for the aircon on top of the nose). I was really impressed with the fit, hardly any filler used and painted in natural metal it looks fantastic (not my modelling skills but the surface details).  Be sure to add extra weight as I don't think the OOB weights are enough due to the location. I used the space between the engine and bulkhead.  From 50 years of modelling, I think this is my favourite - such an enjoyable build for me.

8 hours ago, npb748r said:

looking good. I finished this kit last week, built as a Fennec (amended the gun pod to 2 guns in each pod and built the air scoop for the aircon on top of the nose). I was really impressed with the fit, hardly any filler used and painted in natural metal it looks fantastic (not my modelling skills but the surface details).  Be sure to add extra weight as I don't think the OOB weights are enough due to the location. I used the space between the engine and bulkhead.  From 50 years of modelling, I think this is my favourite - such an enjoyable build for me.

Thanks. I have to agree on the fit, nice and tight so far, just some minor flash. Appreciate the suggestion on additional weight, I’ll stuff some behind the engine before I attach the nose panels.

Brett