Wolfpack Phantom - 8th TFW F-4C

John1

3 hours ago, John1 said:

Courtesy of Jari's link above.   Great shot of an early F-4C.   From what I've been able to find, it appears that by '67-68 that under-nose fiberglass panel was painted over.    One other cool thing about this picture is that it clearly shows the painted over large-sized underwing national insignia just visible under a coating of white paint.  The picture also shows nice examples of sloppily painted underwing drop tanks.    

File:U.S. Air Force McDonnell F-4C Phantom II fighters refuel.jpg

Thanks so much for all the great pictures Jari, they are greatly appreciated. 

And note the star is facing the wrong direction… (the horror)!

So about those wingtips.   Nick / Cheeta11 raised an interesting point about the nav lights being smoothly faired in to the contour of the wingtips, as opposed to the protruding "bulb" that the kit has.  The drawings that Finn posted above seemed to back him up.   However - I've been trying to find pictures of early F-4C's with this "smooth" wingtip.  So far, I've only found shots that show the kit-style wingtips.   

From a picture Finn posted above, if you zoom in to it's fullest extent, you can see that the wingtip is the kit version with the protruding nav light.  

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Cam_Ranh_Air_Base#/media/File:McDonnell_F-4C_Phantom_II_of_the_557th_TFS_at_Cam_Ranh_Air_Base,_Vietnam,_in_1969_(176246640).jpg

Then I thought that maybe the smooth wingtip was present on earlier jets and modified later.   However, I found this picture, amongst others.

spa21850.JPG.jpg

Early war C's and you can clearly see the bulb type wing-tip light on the closest jet (it helps to enlarge the picture but trust me, it's there).   I guess based on all this, I'll stick with the kit wingtip.   Behing inherently lazy, that's totally ok by me.   If anyone has info they can add to this subject, feel free to chime in .

On 6/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, easixpedro said:

Somewhere I've got a circa late 67 photo of an F-4B launching off the Kitty Hawk with a bunch of CBUs on the outboard MERs. Looks like they're dragging on the deck during the stroke.  I agree it's crazy how low they hung. (isn't that a NSFW ditty?)

Gotta love this forum! Timmy's subsequent post is equally fantastic...

Excuse the interruption John, I know how distracting it can be when Nick points out detail stuff. :lol:

6 hours ago, Madmax said:

Gotta love this forum! Timmy's subsequent post is equally fantastic...

Excuse the interruption John, I know how distracting it can be when Nick points out detail stuff. :lol:

Are you kidding, I love nerding out on stuff like this.   Feel free to "dirt road" this build log all you want!! 

One thing the F-4 was noted for was the absolutely filthy undersides.   I started weathering this area previously but had to wait until I had all 200 or so decals in place before I could continue.   Decals are now in place, so I went back to work with a few shades of Flory Washes, some AK Used Oil and good old thinned black enamel.   Here's a good example of the real deal (although if I tried hard, I could find others that were even dirtier):

j9DPb2w.jpg

Here is where I'm currently at.

DZkknRQ.jpg?1

ihTEIEx.jpg?1

vhEdGni.jpg

3SXNjce.jpg?1

Pre-weathering picture of the outer wing.   Got a bit of overspray to deal with on the leading edge areas but I'm pretty content with the way things turned out. 

rDuD1a6.jpg?1

That's it for now, thanks for checking in lads!