Wolfpack Phantom - 8th TFW F-4C

John1

Hi John

Not a big thing. I should have noticed it earlier but I don't think Vietnam era Phantoms had the Radar Warning Antenna on the wing tips as depicted in the Tamiya kit.

I think is should be an easy fix even at this stage of the build.

Cheers

Nick.

46 minutes ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi John

Not a big thing. I should have noticed it earlier but I don't think Vietnam era Phantoms had the Radar Warning Antenna on the wing tips as depicted in the Tamiya kit.

I think is should be an easy fix even at this stage of the build.

Cheers

Nick.

Hmm...  Not sure if I follow.   I thought the later wingtip RHAW sensors had a "button" antenna that protruded out of the wingtip?   I'm not seeing anything like that on the kit bits.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:16 PM, Pete Fleischmann said:

that is crazy how low to the ramp that bottom bomb on the TER is-

10 hours ago, John1 said:

Those M117's really put some stress on the landing gear. 

Somewhere I've got a circa late 67 photo of an F-4B launching off the Kitty Hawk with a bunch of CBUs on the outboard MERs. Looks like they're dragging on the deck during the stroke.  I agree it's crazy how low they hung. (isn't that a NSFW ditty?)

On 6/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, John1 said:

Hmm...  Not sure if I follow.   I thought the later wingtip RHAW sensors had a "button" antenna that protruded out of the wingtip?   I'm not seeing anything like that on the kit bits.

Hi John

I struggled to get a clear photo but I think during the Vietnam ere the F-4 only had a navigation light on the wingtip and not the small RWR antenna on the kit part. In 1/48 the Academy F4 is correct.

Cheers

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

20 hours ago, Finn said:

John a couple more detail photos, the back end of the i/b pylon with TER and a pair of M-117s:

img18.jpg

with bombs on the c/l MER, the MER was positioned in the forward position:

Jari

Nice detail shot of the pylon and TER.   If you come across any others, feel free to post 'em.    Feel sorry for the poor Airman guarding the jet, those protective masks sucked.   

Fun fact - the US M17 mask had a really cool feature.   In order to change out the filters, you had to take the mask off since they could only be removed from the inside!  Just a bit of a design flaw.  Imagine the fun to be had when some poor grunt is fighting in an area hit with nerve agent, and suddenly realizes his filters are getting close to breakthrough and he needs to change them ASAP.   

7 hours ago, Finn said:

One more, earlier you wondered about the panel under the nose being fiberglass brown:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F-4Cs_RB-66C_bombing_Vietnam_1966.jpeg

click on the highest resolution and you can see dark areas where the panel was.

Jari

Very helpful Jari, I think I need to reduce the size of my panel a bit.   Not a big deal.   

Nick / "Cheeta":  I'm trying to find some pictures that show the wingtips of early C models in better detail.  Stay tuned....

Courtesy of Jari's link above.   Great shot of an early F-4C.   From what I've been able to find, it appears that by '67-68 that under-nose fiberglass panel was painted over.    One other cool thing about this picture is that it clearly shows the painted over large-sized underwing national insignia just visible under a coating of white paint.  The picture also shows nice examples of sloppily painted underwing drop tanks.    

File:U.S. Air Force McDonnell F-4C Phantom II fighters refuel.jpg

Thanks so much for all the great pictures Jari, they are greatly appreciated.