The Helldiver has arrived.....

Juggernut

On 7/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, monthebiff said:

I've been focusing on the fuselage internals so far Mike but as you mentioned the engine I've just gone away and had a look. 

Look at the state of the difference in width of these cylinders and that is definitely not just a little  flash to clean up!

20210707-214803.jpg

Fun,fun, fun clean up time!

Regards. Andy 

Did you try to contact Infinity models to see if they were aware of this and if they were going to do a fix?  Being that this is their first kit they may be more responsive than a Trumpeter to get things correct.  Just a thought.

Greg

I got the 1/32 HPH Helldiver kit when it came out.  When news of this Infinity kit broke, I was sort of disappointed I had spent what I did on that full resin kit.  Now that I see what the Infinity version has to offer, and what you need to bring it up to the level of the HPH kit, I don't feel so bad anymore.  Probably ends up being cheaper actually by the time one buys all the extra detail sets, or even a few of them.

The only thing the HPH kit really needs is a new set of G-Factor legs to support the extra weight.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:53 PM, monthebiff said:

I've been focusing on the fuselage internals so far Mike but as you mentioned the engine I've just gone away and had a look. 

Look at the state of the difference in width of these cylinders and that is definitely not just a little  flash to clean up!

20210707-214803.jpg

Fun,fun, fun clean up time!

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy

There should be a step in the back and front of the cylinders. This is correct as the backside of these cylinder could have a metal backplate (you can google to find examples of R-2600's were the cylinders have metal back plates). You can also see that the kit cylinders last 2mm at the top of the sides line up as these metal plates stopped at that point and that the backsides are smooth so Infinity made the cylinders with these back plates .

Though it is too pronounced, but should be an easy fix to reduce the width of the cylinder back sides but do not completely align it with the frontside.

I am working  on this kit and there is a lot that can be improve.

The first 2 things i encounter:

1 . The kit props are not cuffed (they are also incorrect in the HPH resin kit). The shape is oke but you have to add cuffs.

2 . The spinner shape is ok but the engraving and propeller attachments are not correct. (see also my post in Aviation Discussion)

Regards,

Huub

I saw an ad on another modeling group for this kit. How is the landing gear detail? I am eyeing this one as a detail aid for a 1/5 scale r/c specimen. We are trying to design scale retractable landing gear at the moment is why I’m asking.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, Huub van Dijk said:

1 . The kit props are not cuffed (they are also incorrect in the HPH resin kit). The shape is oke but you have to add cuffs.

2 . The spinner shape is ok but the engraving and propeller attachments are not correct. 

Sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket parts manufacturers.

Bill M.

Edited by Bill M.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a limited edition Mk.5 from the French distributor on eBay. It has a different spinner boss, a smooth pilot canopy and French decals for the Dien Bien Phu battle era! I ordered it as that was exactly the version I am interested in. The frustrating part is the fact I should get from Germany more or less at the same date the Navy one I intended to convert into an Aeronavale bird! So it looks I will need to ask my friends if someone is interested in a Navy Helldiver! :doh:

13 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I just ordered a limited edition Mk.5 from the French distributor on eBay. It has a different spinner boss, a smooth pilot canopy and French decals for the Dien Bien Phu battle era! 

Do tell! Where does one find this “limited edition Mk. 5”? I assume it is an SB2C-5? I hadn’t heard of it. Do you have a link? 
Bill M.

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Sure! Look after item 313579926593 on eBay. This is indeed a SB2C-5.

Hi Thierry

Very interesting topic. But to make an SB2C-5 it will also be necessary to plan to lengthen the bomb bay and to completely redo the interior of the pilot's position

Hi.

I know there were some panel differences but fortunately as there are still preserved SB2C-5s including the Smithsonian one, documentation about the cockpit is easily available. With regard to the bomb bay the situation is not that clear to me. I've read conflicting info about the reality of that modification. Have you good references to recommend about that?

13 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi.

I know there were some panel differences but fortunately as there are still preserved SB2C-5s including the Smithsonian one, documentation about the cockpit is easily available. With regard to the bomb bay the situation is not that clear to me. I've read conflicting info about the reality of that modification. Have you good references to recommend about that?

I did some quick research. 
The old detail & scale vol 52 (1997) on the Helldiver gives quite a bit of information about the differences of the SB2C-5. It shows well the bomb bay doors and their forward extensions, and the very different layout of the interior of this bomb bay. 
However, it remains a little limited to undertake a good modification of the model. What we needed is the technical manual. If a member of this forum has a copy ?