The Helldiver has arrived.....

Juggernut

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Its a lot of work to build this one up for certain, but I am slowly getting  there with it. I would definitely recommend the external PE detail set and the flaps. Both are a must when compared to the plastic. 

Regards. Andy 

I agree Andy... I just started working on mine last week and one thing that I've noticed is how many and how thick the plastic is attaching the parts to the spruce trees... When I removed the parts for the engine - it had two attach points on each cylinder - just seems like serious overkill to have 14 attach points on half a engine part... But hey, on the bright side I'm happy to finally have a Helldiver in 1/32 scale...

Have a great day, Mike

1 hour ago, mkd1966 said:

I agree Andy... I just started working on mine last week and one thing that I've noticed is how many and how thick the plastic is attaching the parts to the spruce trees... When I removed the parts for the engine - it had two attach points on each cylinder - just seems like serious overkill to have 14 attach points on half a engine part... But hey, on the bright side I'm happy to finally have a Helldiver in 1/32 scale...

Have a great day, Mike

I've been focusing on the fuselage internals so far Mike but as you mentioned the engine I've just gone away and had a look. 

Look at the state of the difference in width of these cylinders and that is definitely not just a little  flash to clean up!

20210707-214803.jpg

Fun,fun, fun clean up time!

Regards. Andy 

Haven't seen shrinking styrene from a mold yet...  Resin, oh yeah but styrene, not seen that one yet.   Looks to me like an error in the design and/or an error in tooling; something a test shot build should've discovered.  Not even cylinder baffles could explain that mismatch.  This is one of those "too bad" occurrences.

Edited by Juggernut

Well, that was easy.   I had it on preorder through Hannants but cancelled due to a move.  And after packing up 25 moving boxes of model kits I figured I didn’t need another kit anyway.  Oh well.  I guess one more won’t hurt?  

15 hours ago, monthebiff said:

I've been focusing on the fuselage internals so far Mike but as you mentioned the engine I've just gone away and had a look. 

Look at the state of the difference in width of these cylinders and that is definitely not just a little  flash to clean up!

20210707-214803.jpg

Fun,fun, fun clean up time!

Regards. Andy 

Hey Andy,

I've been thinking about my options on this engine... #1 is I can buy an aftermarket resin engine (so there's more money) or #2 it dawned on me that when I purchased the Hobby Boss A-26 - people were talking how it had the wrong engine in the kit (14 cylinder R-2600 instead of 18 cylinder R-2800) so I purchased a couple of resin R-2800's for the A-26 but I think the wrong engines in the kit may be the same engine the Helldiver uses - so I'm going to dig out the A-26 kit tonight and see if it will work... Have a great day, Mike

13 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Haven't seen shrinking styrene from a mold yet...  Resin, oh yeah but styrene, not seen that one yet.   Looks to me like an error in the design and/or an error in tooling; something a test shot build should've discovered.  Not even cylinder baffles could explain that mismatch.  This is one of those "too bad" occurrences.

You are correct.  I was thinking of resin.

Weird seing SB already got everything as I ordered mine from a well-known large German reseller (with the Whirlwind and two or three other goodies) a month ago and if they have both kits it looks they re still waiting for the Helldiver accessories for quite some time!