Painting Fine Details On Parts

I have  question for the experts on these forums.

After years of not modeling, I'm building a Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ.  This is a superb kit.

Can anyone provide some ideas for how to paint the fine raised lines that represent, for example, the electrial cables, hydraulic lines, etc., on the engine?  This is a generic question that also applies to resin landing gear bays (e.g., aftermarket parts) and such.

I another thread, chuck540z (https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/60892-tamiya-f-15c-kicked-up-a-notch-dec-117-done/page/6/3 ) outlines a method using a barrier coat.  The idea is to paint the part (for example) with a lacquer-based paint of the color intended for the electrical  cable, or hydraulic line, etc., , followed by a layer of acrylic clear coat, and then the final color in an acrylic paint.  When all is dry, you can use a toothpick (or some such device) dipped in acrylic thinner, and use it to gently remove the acrylic coats.  Since the base coat is a lacquer paint, it isn't removed by the acrylic thinner, and you end up with the detail in the correct color surrounded by the final coat color.

The problem I've encountered is that trace amounts of the acrylic thinner affect areas that are not intended to be removed, and the final results is not the best.

I'm curious to know how other paint these details.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You have got my method about half right, since I usually don't use acrylic paints, other than Tamiya X-22 Gloss Clear.  Once you have got the background color painted, which can be any type of paint, I seal it with X-22 and let it dry for a few hours or more.  I then apply the detailed painting with enamel and sometimes lacquer paint with a fine brush or microbrush with the head pulled off, leaving a thin plastic "toothpick" as my applicator.  As the new paint is applied, you will sometimes miss your target, which can be wiped off with another clean brush dipped in paint solvent.  The acrylic X-22 protects the underlying paint so that you can wipe it off without fear of it harming the paint.  The work is very picky and time consuming, but the end result can be quite realistic.  Here's a pic from the F-15C model you have noted above:

3xPO8k.jpg

And my last build of a CF-104

023NZJ.jpg

HTH,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3