1/18 Hawker Fury K2902 - 1 Squadron RAF Tangmere

airscale

Hi everyone :)

So, an actual RFI post from me - quite a rare thing, though I notice I started this model in October 2020 so 10 months is not bad for a scratchbuild I guess.....  the benefits of lockdown right :)

This Fury was lost in a midair collision with K2901 on 17th December 1937 near Rowlands Castle, Hampshire. Both pilots, Flying Off (Acting Flight Lt) Harry Hamilton Peck (aged 26) and Sgt Robert Edmund Patten (aged 26) were killed. One day i hope to display it in Tangmere Museum as a memorial to them.

hvvwmB.jpg

It is scratchbuilt, with a vacformed fuselage and rib & spar flying surfaces sheathed in thin scored plastic card..

..anyways, enough waffle and on with some pics...

0E0vBR.jpg

ZgvnDN.jpg

cZPmTA.jpg

LE2X3w.jpg

ycPhvD.jpg

eaPmb3.jpg

MrrUw6.jpg

q4xrJO.jpg

cfVEm0.jpg

jPw1cO.jpg

0hrHIA.jpg

GKlyZV.jpg

7DV02E.jpg

hIceYP.jpg

GKlyZV.jpg

AxiM3Z.jpg

M8iHne.jpg

OwHMh7.jpg

2gUn3h.jpg

EUSNYU.jpg

I learned loads and I have to say really enjoyed making this one - a first for a full scratchbuild and my first biplane

gives me a lot of confidence to tackle other subjects and I had a lot of support from folks on the way - in particular everyone who encouraged me in my WIP and Tigger & Radu for help with the vacforming & masks I needed, and Glijn (Lightpainter here) for some invaluable guidance & refs for the airframe

this is how we choose to remember those who lost their lives in the service of their country

until next time :)

Peter

This model is just beautiful Peter!  So elegant and so well executed by one of the best modelers on the planet.  Hat's off to you sir.  We are so lucky to have you contribute your magic here at LSP.

Cheers, with a well deserved bow, :bow:

Chuck

Peter, I've enjoyed following each of your builds on this site and others and have consistently been in awe of - and inspired by - your craftsmanship and attention to detail. The Fury has taken that to a whole new level. I'm smiling at the sheer gorgeousness of this thing and seeing into the cockpit reminds me of the lengths you went to in order to create it.

Tangmere would be very lucky to have this on display. Bravo.