What do ye think.......any chance for a VTOL F35?

Jack

I know the F35 project is controversial in real time AND surely in 1/32 modelling terms, but then again, either way the concept was developed, tested, implemented and in use at this moment, but like modelling this "strange" aircraft is more or less a "must" to myself, the way it "unfolds" itself when in hovering mode, should be very appealing to have it displayed as a model...........how about it Italeri.........any chance the VTOL version will ever see the light of day??????

Been wondering that myself recently too! With Switzerland just announcing their purchase of the F-35A and with US and Brit F-35Bs both flying strike missions off the QE last week (has Israel also used their A’s in combat already as well?), I am thinking these types of things will help improve our chances of the kits release. More (boring) gray marking options and maybe, just maybe, a few mission markings to add to the decal sheet can’t hurt. Now if someone would just add some freaking color to their jets!!

If Italeri does it they at least have to redesign both the top and bottom fuselage parts plus the canopy and perhaps the cockpit tub, and add a lot of extra parts, so that would basically make it a completely new model.  I do hope somebody will produce a model of this version because it is just pretty amazing technology and it looks great.

Normally one would assume that a designer would have possible versions in mind throughout the design process, but I am not sure how good that applies to the Italeri F-35A release. Producing the B version from the A sprues seems to be way more expensive than bringing a TF-104 out of F-104, mainly for it is a new fuselage that the F-35B requires.

Impossible? Of course not if economically viable. Totally depends on how successful the A release has been.

How much would they need to change to make an F-35C from the existing molds? Would it only be larger wings and the tail hook fairing that would be new? I keep chuckling at the graphics of a -C in full air to air beast mode with 12 AIM-120s and two sidewinders which are probably just for decoration

29 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

How much would they need to change to make an F-35C from the existing molds? Would it only be larger wings and the tail hook fairing that would be new? I keep chuckling at the graphics of a -C in full air to air beast mode with 12 AIM-120s and two sidewinders which are probably just for decoration

Talking "C" version, i could not see if this particular version also has larger tailplanes besides larger wings?

19 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

It's a bummer that Israel didn't continue their tri-color camo for the F-35 like they did on the F-16.

Matt 

Hey, its your model, paint as you would like. I love "what-if" schemes, usually better than the real thing. My list of want to do what ifs include South African Migs, Tornados and maybe Typhoons. An F-35 in 3 tone Israeli would look awesome. Im thinking maybe a Typhoon in 3 tone would be nice as well, give off that Lavi vibe. When its a what if, the sky is the limit!

6 hours ago, Jack said:

Talking "C" version, i could not see if this particular version also has larger tailplanes besides larger wings?

If I recall correctly the horizontal and vertical tails are bigger. For sure the wings are completely different and  the landing gear is more robust with double nose wheels.

I would’ve thought out of the three versions, the ‘b’ VTOL would’ve been the most sort after/ biggest seller. When Italeri came out with the ‘a’ , I just assumed the other two would follow…… still waiting….<_<

Well I’d be tempted seeing as its the version that we here in the UK Operate. It’s an aircraft that has grown on me the more I’ve seen them. Loud buggers though. I still think we went for the wrong carrier set up and therefore the wrong  F-35 version but it is what it is and that verges on Politics so I shall self moderate on that one……