Gloss and Matt coats Gunze.

Well I’ve just gone to Flat Coat the gear bay for my Tamiya P-51D with Alclad Flat coat and gah! Frosting, more pronounced on the Silver painted bits but there on the Zinc Chromate Yellow parts too. Bottle was well mixed, applied over Alclad Aqua Gloss. Airbrushed at around 15psi from 15-20cm away. I moved back to Alclad after having issues with MRP Gloss and Flats coats after finding that they could dissolve thin coats of the MRP paint underneath and some frosting issues. So I’m looking at once again switching my Gloss and Flat coats to the Gunze line of stuff. What ratio do they need to be mixed to? I have Mr levelling Thinner at hand. And which one to get, they seem to offer a few types.

Also, any way I can save the frosted over parts? It’s only the gear bay so wont be seen but I’ll know its there, which to me is far more annoying than having it pointed out by anyone that may ever see the model.

Thanks.

Edited by ade rowlands

42 minutes ago, DonH said:

i thin all my gunze paints 50/50. For gloss, I have been experimenting with more thinners and that seems to work well. 

So probably aim for my usual 60:40 Thinners to paint mix or in this case 60:40 Thinners to clear. What PSI does it like to be sprayed at?

I can get a hold of the UV Cut versions easily enough but nobody seems to have the other versions in stock here, are they essentially the same just the UV one has some additive to make it impervious to UV fading?

14 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

So probably aim for my usual 60:40 Thinners to paint mix or in this case 60:40 Thinners to clear. What PSI does it like to be sprayed at?

60/40 should be fine. Don’t know about psi, I just adjust the valve until paint squirts out in a reasonably coherent manner. I would guess 15-18 psi?

14 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

I can get a hold of the UV Cut versions easily enough but nobody seems to have the other versions in stock here, are they essentially the same just the UV one has some additive to make it impervious to UV fading?

Yes, they seem to be the same formula.  The UV Cut stuff seems to work pretty well.

Matt 

On 7/3/2021 at 1:10 AM, ade rowlands said:

Well I’ve just gone to Flat Coat the gear bay for my Tamiya P-51D with Alclad Flat coat and gah! Frosting, more pronounced on the Silver painted bits but there on the Zinc Chromate Yellow parts too. Bottle was well mixed, applied over Alclad Aqua Gloss. Airbrushed at around 15psi from 15-20cm away. I moved back to Alclad after having issues with MRP Gloss and Flats coats after finding that they could dissolve thin coats of the MRP paint underneath and some frosting issues. So I’m looking at once again switching my Gloss and Flat coats to the Gunze line of stuff. What ratio do they need to be mixed to? I have Mr levelling Thinner at hand. And which one to get, they seem to offer a few types.

Also, any way I can save the frosted over parts? It’s only the gear bay so wont be seen but I’ll know its there, which to me is far more annoying than having it pointed out by anyone that may ever see the model.

Thanks.

Yikes!!!

I have been pestering Alex about clear on Alclad, and whether or not to use Alclad clear. Alex said he uses Vallejo clear gloss and flat, with no issues. I do believe I'll be going that route on my build too.

Sorry you had problems, but thanks for posting.

Andy

On 7/3/2021 at 6:10 PM, ade rowlands said:

Also, any way I can save the frosted over parts? 

Ade, normally spraying over the frosted sections with CLEAR GLOSS gets rid of the frosting, then spray another coat of flat clear over them later.

Jeff.

14 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

You may be experiencing hazing. Are you in a high humidity environment?

It can get humid here in the UK when temperatures get to the high teens, low 20’s certainly. But not excessively humid at the time of day I attempted the Flat coat around 7am. 

I’ve gone ahead and ordered a Bottle on each of the UV Cut Gloss and Flat coats and a regular Gunze Matt coat, they didn’t have the regular Gloss coat, just the UV Cut version. I’ll test them on a mule first before letting them anywhere near an actual painted kit. 

ade, you will be happy with what you ordered. I mix 70/30 MLT to Clear and spray at 15 psi.  After the final coat spray a coat of MLT over the surface. Will really smooth that final coat out. The UV  Cut 112 Super Gloss and 113 Flat are excellent products, spray very well this way. I also have good experience with #181 semi-gloss as well. If I'm spraying over a cream or white I'll definitely use UV Cut product to prevent yellowing later.