Admin/Moderators, please move to correct area if this isn't appropriate place. :)

I’m really wondering if I need to clear out some of my stash of older kits.   I know most the old Revell 1/32 kits date from the 60s and have been reissued several times AND by and large been eclipsed by far better kits.   The only one I’m not sure about is the Revell Hurricane Mk I.  IIRC, the molds were modified to produce the cannon equipped version Mk II.   Is that right?  I have fond memories of building the Corsair, P-40, P-47, Typhoon, Spitfire Mk I, Wildcat, Stuka and Zero and maybe others…and may even build the P-40 as a lark as I remember it being a decent looking model…despite being an E in AVG markings.     What about the SBDs?  Former Matchbox IIRC.  Neither opened, but expect them to be of the same era and lacking as badly as the P-47 and P-51B.  Same with the P-38J kit.  Having the Trumpeter, I doubt I’ll build one and don’t need two.  

On the old Hasegawa and Hasegawa/Minicraft kits, they are largely of the early seventies.  Are the old M-109E and Fw190s decent kits?  I’m not much of a German a/c builder, though thinking these might be good projects to learn on.  While improvements over the Revell kits, are they reasonable accurate or do they have major shape/fit issues?  

I think the 109G14 is a much later and better kit.  Is that true?  I found a 2002 date on it versus 60/70s on the others.   How does the Zero compare to the Revell?  What about the Oscar?   These were is sealed clear poly bags I didn’t want to open so hard to compare.  

I certainly have a surplus of Hasegawa P-51Ds and will be shedding some of them.  

im working my way through Scalemates looking at various boxing’s and original tool dates.  At the moment, nothing is for sale or trade, but some soon will be once I get educated a bit more.  

I acquired many of these from a good friend who was a retired USAF F-106/F-15 pilot and retired FedEx Captain.  He died in a small plane crash a couple of years ago and his wife gave me all his kits which accounts for me having multiples.  

Nothing is up for sale or trade at the moment.  I will list it here first when I decide what I'm doing with which kit and gauge if there is any market for these or if postage will be more than they are worth.  I am hanging on to my new Hasegawa P-47s (3).

I would appreciate your feedback.

H-278 and 04781

DmvJm9.jpg

H-296 and 04722
vV3qjh.jpg

Both 04711
sgEF7p.jpg

4749 and H-280
hxe83j.jpg

H-283 and H-279
LHyRaa.jpg

H-295 and H282 (two)
3aA3xk.jpg

H-217
q9dJvs.jpg

JS-060 and JS-073
6Sd73f.jpg

JS-070 and JS-060
9b5B39.jpg

JS-086 x2 and (not shown 1086 x3)
Bm1H01.jpg

Both JS-060:400
RBL3JK.jpg

JS-073 and ST18:4200
3I5tbs.jpg

Edited by JimRice

Wow now that is indeed a time machine set of kits.  I built most of these kits (except the Japanese kits) when I was a kid. I had no worries about panel lines, toy-like features and accuracy.  Ignorance was bliss.  The G-14 kit is “new” and a darn nice kit.

Jerry Rutman sold upgrade parts for some of these kits and whole resin kits based on others. 

I would build the P-40E kit if I was to revisit the early days.

Rick

I think I have copies of each of those kits, except for the Revell P-40 and the Hasegawa Zero. Personally, I really enjoy building and upgrading them, but I don't think I'd be happy with them out of the box. If you're not interested in doing the kind of work required to bring them up to scratch, then I'd probably look to move them on.

Kev

The classic Revell original offerings are my weakness.  I buy them on the box art alone.  I had a Gentile P-51B still in shrink wrap which I sold for a ridiculous amount.  Wait!

I have total buyers remorse.  That 51B kit and the original Spitfire kit I obviously adore.  The Me 262 kit is also another really cool box top.  Don't even mention the Mossie Revell kit!   The F4U-1, another classic.     Sell them and move on.

The Hasegawa Bf-109G-14 is an awesome kit.   Builds like a dream.  No rivets but seeing rivets on 1/32, hmmmm I'm still on mixed feeling about it.  

Troy   

You are right about your Hurricane kit, I think it is pretty rare, the molds were permanently changed to make the MkII.

Also, if that Spit I is the early one with engraved panel lines, that one is pretty rare, too.

3 hours ago, JimRice said:

Are the old M-109E and Fw190s decent kits?  are they reasonable accurate or do they have major shape/fit issues?

No, they are not nice kits, and yes they do have major shape errors. The '109E tail is visibly too long, and that kit has no wheel wells - not even holes, just slightly recessed areas to represent the wells. The old-tool '190 is not as bad, but also has a long list of obvious errors. 

I think the 109G14 is a much later and better kit.  Is that true?

Yes, that kit is considered a "new-tool" and is very nice. There are minor nitpicks (mainly the prop and spinner), but it is very nice overall. 

The only one I’m not sure about is the Revell Hurricane Mk I.  IIRC, the molds were modified to produce the cannon equipped version Mk II.   Is that right?

Revell added cannon parts, but did not alter the fuselage, radiator or other features to create their Mk.II. The basic Mk.II kit remains the same as the Mk.I. 

What about the SBDs?  Former Matchbox IIRC.

Correct: Former Matchbox tooling. I played with one of these earlier this year, and threw it away when it became obvious that it was no longer worth my time. 

What about the Oscar?

That one is the only game in town for a Ki-43 in 1/32, and is still in production as far as I know.

4 hours ago, JimRice said:

im working my way through Scalemates looking at various boxing’s and original tool dates.

No need to go to all that trouble. The dates of the Revell boxings you have would be printed on the boxes. Old Hasegawa kits usually have the issue date printed on the instructions, but not always. 

With the exception of the Hasegawa Bf 109G-14 and Ki-43 kits, all of those kits are old, crude and have been surpassed by better/newer kits. However, as Troy notes, the original boxings hold some value for their box-art alone. I believe it was K2 that has been looking for that original P-40E box for quite a while, but I don't know if that is still true. The newer boxings do not hold much value at all.

That said, they all can be built. The question is: Do you want to invest the time & effort for a mediocre result when there are better starting points available? 

HTH,

D

This brings some memories: I recall building the Revell P-40E in the AVG markings (my first ever LSP), F4U and Bf 109G back in the 1970s.

The old Hasegawa kits can still scrub up nicely, and by way of example here's one I did a few years ago when i bought a kit on impulse at a local show.  It's not my best effort, but it can't be that bad as Sywell Aviation Museum were kind enough to give it a home on display.  (RAF Colleyweston, where 1426 (Enemy Aircraft) Flight were based, is not far away.)

Good luck with your sales.

Edited by MikeC
Removing a stray hyphen that turned the Corsair into a non-existent Phantom variant!

The Hurricane Mk.I kit is pretty accurate but basic, to convert it into the Mk.IIc they just added bumps to the wings leaving the original panel/rivet details in place and they did not change the nose.

I built mine years ago and was happy with it, there are resin detail parts available to update it from Grey Matter Figures

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/greymatterfigures/1-32-Hurricane/_i.html?_storecat=3575271015

Below is the Mk.II showing the new bumps and the original detail

yTA568.jpg

Mk.1 wing

uXXHkK.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

33 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Dennis,

Hold on now with the show and tell.  This is giving me the urge to work on my Mk II. LOL

The GMF parts are very nice.  

Go on you know you want to, the Revell kit as basic as it is is still worthy of attention, I'm currently working on the PCM Hurricane and it's a lot harder to build.

Cheers

Dennis

It depends what you want to get out of your modelling. If you're happy building models that are somewhat basic, but look decent on the shelf, then I would keep these and build them. If you desire super detailed kits, then it's not worth buying aftermarket for these and you'd be better off flipping them and buying the latest offering where available. 

I've built several of these older kits; Ki 43, P-51D, Wildcat Mk V and F4U Corsair and they go together well and look nice on the shelf. 

I appreciate everyone's input.  Still undecided, but will likely rid myself of the duplicates at a minimum.  Thinking the Dauntless and Corsair will make good training platforms for US Navy tricolor paint scheme and the old Bf/Me109s same for German camouflage in prep for building the G-14...in all my years of modeling, I've never tried either.  Seems like a perfect time to expand my horizons...and try out my brand new in the box Iwata HP-CH I just bought to supplement my very old HP-C (with solid rear cover) I bought used a few years back.

I'll let everyone know when I put anything up for sale.

7 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Below is the Mk.II showing the new bumps and the original detail

Ah, yes! Thanks for the correction about those bumps. Humorously, the Revell Hurricane kit was rereleased as a Mk.I in 2009, and retained those little bumps. 

D