Roden Albatros D.I Prinz Karl Friederich von Preussen

Gazzas

HI everyone,

I finished this one last month.  I did a lot of new stuff, mostly with oils, trying to give it an interesting but not overstated appearance.  The propeller spinner was known to have the skull and cross bones on it, but nobody is really sure what went around the skull.  So, I went with what I though would be the best looking symmetrical result, even though it is different from the fuselage skulls...  or any other modeller's interpretation that I know of.  Nobody is 100% certain that the wings were a standard camo pattern or the same as the fuselage pale green.  I went with I believed would be the most interesting scheme.

The model was painted with SMS and MRP lacquers and with small amounts of Tamiya acrylics where needed.  Most details were painted with either AK Model color or Citadel aqueous acrylics. 

I stiffened vertical wing struts and LG struts with .5mm brass pin to give rigidity as well as enabling it to be pinned to the larger parts.  I used Part Photo-etch for many finer details and some resin from an old Roden build which had fallen apart.  I also used HGW Fabric belts because they are so much nicer to work with than etch belts.

All of the markings were cut with my Silhouette Portrait.  The rigging is elastic line coupled with Bob's Buckles.

I hope you like it.

P1013725.thumb.JPG.e5f9c5addde2920bc803b

P1013722.thumb.JPG.a4f37ed07379b481036dd

P1013735.thumb.JPG.48a6553decd42b988bfda

P1013736.thumb.JPG.a8cb8d35da3c7131f8694

P1013733.thumb.JPG.8bc526337530a41ba9334

P1013744.thumb.JPG.c09f17cf5866fd388e7d2

P1013727.thumb.JPG.646634001d43e94bca7ac

P1013729.thumb.JPG.5059aad5d2703aa25b579

P1013730.thumb.JPG.1188c780889e4228b5dd2

P1013739.thumb.JPG.c126087d52d3117f84934

P1013740.thumb.JPG.0c97d7e1a5aa971d79682

P1013743.thumb.JPG.f9c1383fd0f8c73252818

Thank you for looking!

2 hours ago, Bobs Buckles said:

Hope you like it?

Love it! Well done Gazza!! :wub: 

Tell me more about these SMS paints. I hear Dave from 'On The Bench' podcast mention them. Interested to know how they perform.

Cheers!

vB ^_^

Thank you, Bob!

My relationship with SMS paints started out poorly.  I was trying to thin them with Mr. Color self-levelling and they wouldn't spray well.  Once I started using their recommended thinners, they changed my mind real quick.  Though...   the guy that makes them says they don't need to be thinned at all.  They lay down smooth, and seem to cover quicker than MRP.  They won't mix with MRP or any other lacquers.  I've only done two models with them so far.  So consider me relatively inexperienced.  Being an Australian product makes them more attractive to me.  But I will be buying more as they seem to be getting more military colors.

For this panzer, I needed a very dark brown...   but All I had was Panzer yellow, Panzer gray, Red Brown, and olive green.  With those colors I mixed my own dark brown and it worked out pretty well.

18.thumb.JPG.152e5d1e16930b57372e89ac5bb

You can see a lot of the models done with them here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SMSofficialgroup

3 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

That is some nice modeling.

Sincerely,

Mark

3 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Beautifully done!

What’s not to like? It’s a beautiful build, sharp looking markings, and colour scheme.  :clap2:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you, fellas!

11 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Holy Schomoly Gazza - that's wonderful ! And really good photos too . 

I've been distracted as of late and must have missed the build thread, but hey- that's one really great biplane . 

Thanks, mate!  There wasn't a build thread here. so you didn't miss one.

It was a cloudy day when I took the photos, so they turned out the way they did.

8 hours ago, JayW said:

WW1 aircraft not my thing - YET.  Good Lord what a beautiful effort!  I am so impressed Gazzas.

Thank you, Jay!  I'm not a super WWI-aircraft-guy myself.  It takes a while to get the jones to build one.   I only do one or two a year.  That being said, I think I have more WWI LSP's in my stash than I do anything else.  So I'll have to build more.