Pacific Coast Models Hawker Tempest

dennismcc

After a difficult start when I thought that this one would be a failure I am very pleased that I persevered as it has turned out really nice and I like it a lot.

I bought this one when the kit first came out as the Tempest was one of my favourites meaning to build it straight away but I was seduced by an MDC Typhoon and never got back to the Tempest.

As I have quite a few PCM kits in the loft and have only ever built one (G55) I thought that this year I would build three of them, the Tempest, a fabric winged Hurricane and a Spitfire Mk.IX.

Despite my usual routine of reading other peoples builds, reviews and of course the tweak list, I was taken by surprise by some of the problems I encountered and was close to shelving the build but I have never given up on a build in 1/32 scale so carried on and it got better and I started to enjoy myself.

The kit itself is a treasure trove of PE, Resin and a wonderful selection of decals, the instructions are also very good if a mite vague in parts, but it was the first 1/32 scale kit of a Tempest and PCM did made kits of subjects that other manufacturers have ignored to this day.

I took an early decision not to use too much in the way of aftermarket parts and use what was in the box but I did use some Barracuda parts, the main wheels and the Typhoon/Tempest air intake ring are from them,

Markings were painted on using Montex masks and Sovereign Colourcoats paints, the stencils were my first attempt at using HGW Wet Transfers and I was most impressed with them and have invested in quite a few sets from their range as I do not get on well with decals especially the tiny stencil ones.

The main paint scheme was done with Xtracolor paints and for the camouflage pattern I used AML masks which I have used before.

The main problem with the early part of the build was that I had just finished a run of three Hasegawa kits so I had been spoilt quite a bit and it took a while to get back to basics.

I wanted to build a Tempest without invasion stripes and came across this photo on which I based my build, this is the caption from the photo

"Budd Miller taxing his Tempest SD-R (EJ558) for another anti-diver patrol. Filmed at Bradwell Bay on 15 October 1944".

Further research found that Flight Officer Budd Miller (RCAF No. R-140790, USAAF No. T-190924) was an NCO pilot of the USAAF, flying attachment with the RAF

spacer.png

Here is the build thread.

And so on with the photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

13 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Very nice, and nice photos, as well. You've convinced me, i must build one. 

12 hours ago, monthebiff said:

She is superb Dennis!! I love those PcM kits and your Tempest is beautiful. 

Regards. Andy 

10 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Way to go Dennis! It looks really good, and I applaud your perseverance.

Cheers,  Tom

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Superb build, Dennis!

Kev

Thank you all very much, it's nice to sit back and look at it now sitting on my shelf, it really does look like a Tempest to me and it is very impressive, I might even build the spare one that I have in the stash, but not just yet.

The photos were a surprise to me, I originally took some with my camera but was not happy with them so I tried my iPhone and they came out much better, the camera photos were very "washed out" and did not show any of my usual subtle weathering but the iPhone ones did.

I have the PCM Hurricane to finish off now and have just had a look inside the box of the PCM Spitfire IXc that is next on the production line for this year, good job that I have lots of sanding material handy.

Cheers

Dennis

4 hours ago, JMcD said:

Beautiful. I've always found the Tempest to be more attractive than the Spitfire.

Thank you for that, I am a big fan both the Spitfire and the Tempest, I find that they are both attractive in different ways, the Tempest is a very powerful looking aircraft, I love this photo of Tempests, to me it shows the raw power of them

l6fpfU.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

21 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Very nice Tempest!  It's good to see the PCM version and gives me some inspiration to get back to my Special Hobby Tempest.

Thank you very much for the kind words, it is very much appreciated, and hopefully you will restart your Tempest, they are so impressive looking machines.

Cheers

Dennis

2 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Thank you very much for the kind words, it is very much appreciated, and hopefully you will restart your Tempest, they are so impressive looking machines.

Cheers

Dennis

Yeah, I really like the look of the Tempest (and Typhoon).  You did a great job with the camo!

Superb job on that Dennis!! You pushed through and the result is wonderful. PCM kits are work but like you said, they released kits of aircraft that no other company had done, and in some cases still haven't. I'm looking at my PCM Spitfire IX too.

The Tempest is just such an elegant and aggressive looking beast.

Richard