Revell F-15B/D… any good?

seiran01

Since it looks like I can’t build an F-15D from the Tamiya Strike Eagle without sourcing a new lower fuselage without CFTs, how good is the 1/32 revell two seat Eagle? Got my eyes on a JASDF aggressor build.

Thanks

Mike

Quite good. It is actually the last large scale plane kit made by Revell USA. The main problem is the rear cockpit. Otherwise, aftermarket can solve close to all other problems. Seats, tail ballasts, landing gear legs, wheels, pylons and exhausts can be rather easily sourced.

Its old (I believe early 80's 90's production if not earlier), I have had one in my stash for...couple of decades???. Was going to build an Israeli B out of it.  Somewhat large panel lines (though just now looking at it, they appear better than I remember, probably on par with what Italeri is putting on its F-104's and Mirages) and minimal to non existent rivet/fastener detail. As far as shape and outline goes, don't know. Some boxings came with heavily tinted canopy parts, but some were clear. Its not terrible, like  the 70's era Revell Mig-21 or anything, just very basic. I always figured the best way to a D was a Tamiya C  with E forward fuselage. Those separate sprues pop up on e-bay from time to time.

Edited by eoyguy

Buy F-15 C kit and Strike Eagle kit.  Swap fuse bottoms and build single seater with CFT's as Icelandic F-15.  It's what I did to build my Bicentennial F-15B after getting correct narrower tires.  Now if I could get it off the shelf of doom......:BANGHEAD2:

I bought the original release from Beatties in late 1983 on a school trip to London, so it's far from new. That release was of the Strike Eagle demonstrator, but had also decals for an F-15B or D as well.  It's all right.  The gear legs are fragile for such a large model, and unless Revell updated the moulds, it comes with Escapac seats instead of ACES II, but aftermarket can help you there.  THe exhausts are likely to be spartan given the current expectations, but again there are aftermarket solutions.  From what I understand, the Tamiya kit - expensive as it is - also has issues, so don't expect a painless build with either kit.

Built one of these as a JASDF Aggressor. Have to say, the fit of this kit i found better than the Tamiya offering. Tamiya had better detail, etc. Using aftermarket can add and correct anything lacking. Aftermarket gear is a must, the gear WILL fail. I used the SAC nose gear but not the mains and now it sits in my display case, busted legs, a tail dragger...

Build thread.   ❚❚ Revell F-15E built as a JASDF Aggressor - Jurassic Plastic - Large Scale Planes

Don

Edited by dmthamade

My only issues with the one I built way back in 1986 were the two basic issues with ALL of Revell's 1/32 aircraft kits: weak landing gear and no detail on cockpit side walls.  

I think the only 1/32 kit I have not had gear issues wit was the F-14 Tomcat.  

One thing that might help in the build is to glue the upper wings to the upper fuselage then glue the bottom wing halves to the upper ones after gluing the two fuesalge halves together.

Just an FYI, I have the C kit and, holding your tongue JUST the right way, the BB cockpit for the Tamiya F-15 can be fitted. Im thinking of actually using leftover cockpit parts from the Tamiya kit to spruce up the Revell kit. Plus I got the Tamiya exhaust parts to replace the Revell exhausts, which are very simplified.