1/32 Matchbox PK-505 Tiger Moth Floatplane G-AIVW

Archimedes

@tomprobert would certainly not laugh at this - it’s fantastic old-school modelling and problem solving of the type I love to watch. 

It’s great to see one of these older kits being beaten into submission and you’re clearly winning the battle… it’s going to be a stunner when complete. 

Tom

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

@tomprobert would certainly not laugh at this - it’s fantastic old-school modelling and problem solving of the type I love to watch. 

It’s great to see one of these older kits being beaten into submission and you’re clearly winning the battle… it’s going to be a stunner when complete. 

Tom

Thanks Tom! I have watched you wrestle far greater challenges than this into submission and your skill set was actually the first I thought of when tackling this one “What would Tom do with this now?”  Compared to many on this board (yourself included) I am a real neophyte and I learn something new every day right here. So thank you for sharing your many builds and your solutions which have inspired me (and many others too).  One of the things that strikes me most forcefully about LSP is how self effacing most are here: there are kit developers, decal makers, subject matter experts, owners of kit and aftermarket companies, who contribute to the benefit of all who come here (and often without ever referencing their own background nor accomplishments). LSP is head and shoulders above any other board I have ever frequented for its membership and quality of contribution. 

Kind regards,

Paul

16 hours ago, mozart said:

I think Paul (I should know but I don’t for sure) that they are running from the pitot head thence to the ASI in the cockpit.  A better view: 

yerGjk.jpg

Hi Max - Thank you: that would absolutely make sense. There is a lot going on under there! Quick update: It all looks very dirty on these photos with sanding dust but the shims are in on the side panels and G-AIVW now has a Tiger Moth shaped nose. Just a little filing to go. 

M0IMG9.jpg

The main features of the underside are now in place  - lots yet to do: boy there is a lot going on under there!

EtrCQG.jpg

More to follow in the coming days. 

Thanks once again @mozart

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes
Typo

Thanks for the photos Max. That is a lovely period shot of DX-595 and the detail pull-out on NM-138 is excellent.

On the cabane strut supports: They were big, they were ugly and they were gone…

Port

YeomHv.jpg

Starboard

GciLTZ.jpg

So, what will I do to support those cabane struts (which are critical to the stability of the wing construct)? Stay tuned to find out.;)

Kind regards,

Paul

Happy New Year all. Well, I would have posted more progress but my New Years’ Day was spent flying one of the club gliders instead :). An Alexander Schleicher ASK-21, N341KS. 

PXcKsi.jpg

I hope everyone has a great modelling year and that I finally manage to put G-AIVW to bed! :D

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes
Image not uploading correctly

• 1 month later...

Yeah! It’s been a long time hasn’t it?

That pesky feature of life ‘work’ gets in the way more often than one would like so, finally I have some progress to report, namely; mounting the cabane struts.

1974 kit engineering gave us modellers two truly heinous, out-of-scale mounts for the cabane struts on this kit and, as shown above; they had to go.

How to mount the cabane struts then? A butt joint and relying on tube glue simply would not do. So, after careful measurement I drilled out two holes on each side where the base of the cabane struts would be mounted. I then cut some short lengths of 0.75 mm brass rod (sourced from from Albion Alloys) and made them fast with epoxy.

tOIW05.jpg

I drilled out matching holes in the base of each cabane strut and dry fitted them:

FknRS3.jpg

So, now I have the cabane struts which are aligned and with reliable and strong mounting points on each side.  I have begun carving and sanding the covers for the rear struts on each side which I am fashioning out of pieces of sprue. In addition to the covers there are several things to do before final mounting of the struts with epoxy: I need to drill out holes for the fuel line and breather pipe that go up to the fuel tank as well as holes for the rigging that sits in front of the windscreen. But, I am glad to have made some progress again!

wnyZxi.jpg

Bye for now.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes

Well done Paul, a solid joint there is key so that’s a good fix. Another way to make those covers would be using some lead foil shaped over a former…..I did this for the air scoops on my Echelon Lightning. Some UV glue inside the foil ensures a firm structure:

eNW4om.jpg

9yaZYC.jpg