1/32 Matchbox PK-505 Tiger Moth Floatplane G-AIVW

Archimedes

Great work on the port cockpit Paul; just one small point to think about - the control cables run through a slot on the side “flange” on the front seat, photos on the previous page show this clearly. Love your idea of bending the lower wing tabs, wish I’d thought of that! :D

Edited by mozart

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This is something I actually butchered on mine somewhat, and I'm hoping it's not too obvious on the finished model (if it ever gets finished).

Kev

I know you can get your build over the line Kev! I am kind of kicking myself for not picking this feature up sooner as Max is right; the ‘cables’ need to thread through the slot. To be honest; I am fast approaching the moment that I suspect stalls a lot of Matchbox Tiger Moth builds which is doing the front seat itself. I don’t have any vacform equipment so am planning a different route to getting the front seat form sorted (which may take a couple of attempts).  At present I am wrestling the control box on the cockpit floor into submission.  Back to it and I’ll post pictures of the successes (and those attempts that don’t make it) in a few days. Thanks everyone for the continued assistance (yes Williams and Gadbois I am looking at you in particular! :rolleyes:). 

I didn't vac my front seat either, Paul - just built it up out of styrene strip and sheet. I also co-opted the pan from the kit seat and built everything else around it. I then used plastic strip to form the upright curved section of the seat bucket itself, followed by lots of filling and sanding! I thought I had photos of it in the making, but couldn't find them. Here's the finished article in primer:

rYEaY2.jpg

It's not super accurate, nor was it the easiest way to arrive at this result, but I certainly learned a lot by trying it! You can see that I also failed to account for the slots that the control cables go through.

Kev

44 minutes ago, Cap'n Wannabe said:

Just curious, but does anyone have factory drawings of the Tiger Moth?  Or can point me in a direction where I might find them?

Hmmm, good luck with that! I assume you’re looking for accurate overall drawings of the whole aircraft with dimensions etc? That’s the Holy Grail, none apparently exist, or at least not in my experience. I have access to machine production drawings of every individual part right down to nuts and bolts, but not a general arrangement drawing amongst them…..and there must but a couple of thousand! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

My apologies for the long silence.  You could be forgiven for thinking that I had stopped at the traditional bette-noir of anyone doing this kit: the front cockpit. Actually it has been a combination of 2 things: 

1. Delivery phase of a large project at work

2. An accident while working in my wood shop (I also build furniture). I was working with my jointer planer and it took 5 mm off the end of my RH index finger along with my nail (you really don't want to see a picture of that!). 

The medics did a great job and reconstructed the end of my finger with bioresorbable mesh and, mercifully the nail is growing back. But I have been unable to model anything for several weeks. 

Kevin: I really appreciated your photo of how you built up the front seat (better work than you imagine) and I plan to take a similar path. So, I will restart very soon. Thanks for your patience everyone.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 1 year later...

Well, I am back.

It has been a long time hasn’t it? So let’s take a look at progress:

0GqOG5.jpg

The eagle-eyed amongst you will see that there is a diagonal white line across the front cockpit.  Whilst my finger was healing I had ample opportunity to work out my approach to the front cockpit seat. This is the point at which many Tiger Moth builds stumble with this kit and, to an extent, this one suffered from that too.  The first thing I did was create the diagonal panel that the bucket seat sits in. I then made the parallel wooden ribs that the rear seat and the controls ride within (the start of the fitting for that is shown below:

Ga4mgr.jpg

Next up was cutting an aperture out of the the diagonal panel. This was hard as it had to be eyeballed and I probably didn’t get it quite right. It should look like this:

q5Pl0o.jpg

Mid process it was looking like this:

KFMUa9.jpg

More to follow soon!

Cheers,

Paul