A B-17 .. sort of...in the movie Dr. Strangelove

ironman1945

I was watching Dr. Strangelove a few days ago, and something caught my eye that I'd never noticed before... even after watching this movie a gizillion times from the age of about 7...

Inflight sequence as the B-52 model/prop goes low over Mother Russia... look at that shadow/profile....

Had to get low flying footage somewhere! :D

Dave/Ironman1945

IMG_20210622_112902

17 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

I'd be tempted to say shadow of the camera plane 

Not sure the USAF cooperated on this film , so the footage could be a model superimposed on top of filmed background  ....shot from a B17.

I can tell you first hand that the USAF didn't cooperate with the film, my father was the USAF public information officer in New York city at the time when the film was being made ,Kubric approached them and asked if they could use the Airfoce's B-52 cockpit trainer to film the cockpit flying scenes, it was a very big "NO", my father told me about this and also told me that Kubric got someone to let them use a Boeing 707 cocpit trainer for filming..if you watch the film closely during the cockpit scenes look at the throttle console and you can see that it is only set up for 4 engines versus 8.

ISTR somewhere that the B-17 used was in French (civilian) service and was filming ice flows for geophysical research and magnetic measurements etc. Kubrick bought up what was essentially dull film stock but just what his film needed for verisimilitude*.

* I have always wanted to use that word!