Model Monkey 1/32 Beaufighter and Mosquito Airborne Interception Radar Mk.IV equipment set

Model_Monkey

Happy to announce a Beaufighter and Mosquito Airborne Interception Radar Mk.IV equipment set is now available in 1/32 scale.

This accurate and highly detailed set of 5 models represents the radar equipment fit to early World War Two-era nightfighters such as the the Bristol Beaufighter NF Mk.I, DeHavilland Mosquito NF Mk.II, Douglas Boston, Havoc Turbinlight and P-70, and Lockheed Ventura PV-1 circa 1941-1943. It was succeeded by the AI Mk.VIII radar beginning in 1943.

The AI Mk.IV radar was produced by EMI, Pye and EKCO in the UK, and also built under license by Western Electric in the US, fit to Beaufighters and P-70s operated by US forces. In US service, it was known as the SCR-540.

Includes:

1. Control Panel Type 3
  2. Receiver R.3066
  3. Transmitter T.3065B
  4. Modulator Type 20
  5. Indicating Unit Type 20/Type 48 (printed inverted to protect cable connections)

The models were designed from de-classified Royal Air Force AI Radar Mk.IV equipment manual S.D. 0165 (1) dated July, 1942.

"Radar, Airborne Interception, Mark IV, or AI Mk. IV for short, was the world's first operational air-to-air radar system. Early Mk. III units appeared in July 1940 on converted Bristol Blenheim light bombers, while the definitive Mk. IV reached widespread availability on the Bristol Beaufighter heavy fighter by early 1941. On the Beaufighter, the Mk. IV arguably played a role in ending the Blitz, the Luftwaffe's night bombing campaign of late 1940 and early 1941." - Wikipedia.

Click here for the Model Monkey catalog of over 250 products for scale modelers.

99BZXOU.jpg

3MQqErI.jpg

IOm5NKW.jpg

Zz5tIAd.jpg

rNeW9vj.jpg

mdQOc3G.jpg

MxYWjoi.jpg

2npR2ta.jpg

AOR3hTO.jpg

MFI5Pfs.jpg

WzMeztQ.jpg

Edited by Model_Monkey

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much!

Good news, yes the Observer's Station floor and seat are in design now.  I was very fortunate to receive enough information very recently to complete the design.  Ammunition bins for late Beau 20mm cannons will be available, too (early Beau's cannons were drum-fed).  Research for an 18" torpedo is complete.

Recently released are 3 different configurations of Bf 109-F, G and K spinners with propeller hub.  They include a slot for blades and propeller shaft matching new-tool Revell kits but can be adapted for Hasegawa.  The spinners and hubs were designed from Messerschmitt factory drawings.

vP65i2F.jpg

cyiq7X3.jpg

Other products in design this summer (research is complete):

1/24 scale N1K2-J Shiden cockpit for Bandai

1/28 scale Vickers machineguns for the classic Revell Sopwith Camel

For model ship fans, we've added an RMS Titanic forecastle watertight hatch in 1/200 scale (for Trumpeter, etc.) and 1/350 scale (for Academy, etc.) to the catalog.  The model was designed from scans of Harland & Wolff builder's drawings.  The hatch was conspicuously located just aft of the anchor capstans.

MbJYeCX.jpg

A few months ago, I released accurate Titanic funnels in 1/200 scale and 1/350 scale, too.  They were also designed from scans of Harland & Wolff shipyard drawings.  The funnels include accurate exterior steam and water pipes and are fully, accurately riveted, unlike the injection plastic kits' funnels.

yfO4m4C.jpg

yE6QuRw.jpg

I've updated the design for our USS Arizona BB-39 superstructure in 1/350 scale (for Banner, Hobby Boss, etc.) and 1/426 scale (for Revell) to include the entire forward tripod and to capture far more detail.  The tripod is integrated with the top level for proper alignment and height.  Below are photos of the improved design.  The first photo shows the 3D-printed model alongside a popular injection-molded plastic kit's superstructure for comparison.  The Model Monkey superstructure was designed from scans of shipyard blueprints.

Model Monkey 1/350 USS Arizona BB-39 Superstructure on the left.  Parts dry-fitted.  Popular plastic kit's superstructure on the right.

uZwaX48.jpg

EZp4uHq.jpg

3hUsqWR.jpg

IhP2VrK.jpg

And we've added two sets of Zara class Italian heavy cruiser 8"/53 cal. turrets in 1/350 scale to the catalog.  One set is for RN Zara and the other for sistership RN Pola.  Photos of one of our turrets with a popular plastic kit's turret are shown below for comparison.  The ships' mottos are emblazoned in readable raised letters on the appropriate turret's sides just like the real turrets, in this case Pola's motto "ARDISCO AD OGNI IMPRESA" ("I dare to every undertaking", or "Courage in every undertaking").

awJxwFM.jpg

VVyQyXP.jpg

SElPu2N.jpg

Edited by Model_Monkey
Fixed typos.

Very happy to hear that the Beau sets for the rear observer are still a possible release! Everything you do looks fantastic - the ship parts are so good they make me want to look at buying a ship kit (though lord knows I do not need to delve into yet another realm of plastic kits....)

Thanks, everyone!

Hi Damian, Bf 109 spinner and hub costs $8 USD.  I'm a big fan of your landing gear.  Your P-51 set is sublime.

Click here for Bf 109 spinners and other Model Monkey 1/32 scale products.  We ship world-wide.  The catalog supports pricing in most currencies.  Catalog subscribers can set up a wishlist. 

Edited by Model_Monkey

Oooooooh!!!!!! This news is music to my ears!!!  :thumbsup::clap2:

How about the herringbone antennae (transmit) on the nose or the azimuth antennae Steve? Any plans there?
Can't wait for you to drop that mid/RO station as well!

Edited by IainM
Question asked

Thanks all and hi, Iain!

Regarding a herringbone antenna, good idea, I'll add the antenna to the queue. 

Please be patient with me as I work through the project queue; I'm pedaling as fast as I can, in the rain, uphill, with a flat tire, and a monkey on my back.  He hits me.  And he eats a lot and requires frequent bathroom breaks.  I don't like him.  But he's rich and pays me well.

2 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

Thanks all and hi, Iain!

Regarding a herringbone antenna, good idea, I'll add the antenna to the queue. 

Please be patient with me as I work through the project queue; I'm pedaling as fast as I can, in the rain, uphill, with a flat tire, and a monkey on my back.  He hits me.  And he eats a lot and requires frequent bathroom breaks.  I don't like him.  But he's rich and pays me well.

Tell that monkey to take it easy on you!!:lol:
I'll wait with great patience - worth every day with the quality of your product!!

Any plans to do a re-print of the Beau early dihedral tailplanes at any stage?

Edited by IainM

Hi Iain,

The early Beaufighter dihedral tailplanes were designs, like many others, that were put on indefinite hold due to Covid-related conditions badly affecting available research and design time.  Although research is complete and the design started, I have not yet completed that design.  As Covid effects ease and more design time becomes available, I hope to return to that project and complete it later this year.

In the mean time, design work on the Beau observer's station continues.

Hi Steve, I have the five versions of the Trumpeter Bf109 series in 1/24th scale and they badly need accurate spinners. Any chance you could upscale the 1/32 ones? If so an instant order from me for five would be forthcoming. Love your work.

TRF

Hi Terry, happy to rescale the Bf 109 spinners for you.

If you have access to a digital caliper, please measure the slot on your Trumpeter kit's spinner base plate and let me know what you find, millimeters preferred.  I'll make sure the 3D-printed spinners' base plates' slot matches.

Cheers!

On 7/1/2021 at 2:43 PM, Model_Monkey said:

In the mean time, design work on the Beau observer's station continues.

I am eagerly awaiting those! In the meantime, helped myself to a couple of those Mk IV radar sets and some spinners this morning! :lol: