Mengnut Wings Fokker Dr. 1

Wolf Buddee

The cockpit assembly was press fit in to the left side fuselage half. Then the two fuselage halves were glued together trapping the cockpit assembly within. I glued the top seam first making sure I had aligned everything perfectly to ensure I had very little filling or sanding to deal with. Once that was completely set I fit the center strip with stitching detail in to the recess in the bottom of the fuselage and ran Tamiya extra thin glue along both edges. It took a bit of fettling to get the center strip to sit level as I could get it but it became obvious that filler was going to be needed to get a nice clean finish. The fuselage bottom, towards the rear, also had some rough depressions right between where the ground handling loops protrude which required filling and a good bit of sanding to eliminate. So far this was the only real rough spot on the kit and if I was to do it again I would sand the whole thing completely flat and use Archer’s fabric stitching decals to finish it off.

The engine firewall was press fit in place to make sure the front of the fuselage was aligned properly. It won’t be glued until the landing gear and upper cabane struts are rigged and tensioned. This will make sense later on.

I also added a thin strip of styrene to the fuselage where the horizontal stabilizer fits as the gap between it and the fuselage was too big. There is supposed to be a small gap there but not as big as what dry fitting showed.

Cheers,

Wolf

foVkS96.jpg

HVQ3CKD.jpg

pdDHgyT.jpg

8hUrF4r.jpg

PogI6si.jpg

6 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Brilliantly clean work Wolf, and it sure looks like it's falling together quite well.

Matt 

Thanks Matt,

So far so good but as you can see from the last photo the bottom of the fuselage was a bit rough. Not near as nice as the top but better the bottom than the other way around eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Awesome work as always Wolf - and very informative and inspirational at the same time!  Your tip about using Archer's fabric stitching decal has been filed away for when I build this kit in the next 6 months of so.

Sincerely,

Ernest 

11 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Thanks Matt,

So far so good but as you can see from the last photo the bottom of the fuselage was a bit rough. Not near as nice as the top but better the bottom than the other way around eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

I'm not sure I've ever had a WW1 plane with a box fuselage that didn't require filling on the lower seam.  Just seems to be part of the deal, some sort of undulations along that seam.  Definitely better on the bottom where the stitching can cover it than on the top with that fine shape change along the spine.

Matt 

Wolf, in your interior pictures, you said that the machining marks on the ammo can are from Aviattic.  Do you have a code for that decal sheet? It would come in super handy for WW1 interior bits.

Matt

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Wolf, in your interior pictures, you said that the machining marks on the ammo can are from Aviattic.  Do you have a code for that decal sheet? It would come in super handy for WW1 interior bits.

Matt,

they are part of the regular Aviattic decals for the Mengnut kit. Have a look at the images for the ATT32295 decals. You'll see the burnishing decals left of the rudder there. I'm not sure if there is an individual decal available just for that, but I believe I have seen it being a part of all their Richthofen decals for the Mengnut kit.

Wolf, this is yet another build that will go into my reference build archive folders. Just the engine shots alone hit it right out of the park for me and the rest with all the details of what to look out for or how to fix is very much appreciated :). Looking forward to the next installment!

11 hours ago, sky said:

Matt,

they are part of the regular Aviattic decals for the Mengnut kit. Have a look at the images for the ATT32295 decals. You'll see the burnishing decals left of the rudder there. I'm not sure if there is an individual decal available just for that, but I believe I have seen it being a part of all their Richthofen decals for the Mengnut kit.

I see them now. Thanks for letting me know. Was hoping there was a full sheet of them for stuff like Eindeckers and the Taube.  Maybe they'll be a future product.

Matt 

Thanks for the reply to Matt’s question Sky.

Yes, the machining marks were included in the Aviattic decal sheet I bought. I got the faded varnished streaked decals for the Meng kit before the MvR specific decals were released. IIRC the WnWs site explains how to do the machining marks with paint as a tip for the Fokker E.II and E.III (early) kits.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

On 7/5/2021 at 8:13 PM, Archimedes said:

Hi Wolf,

That is well thought through, precision work right there. I am really enjoying the progress of this one as I suspect a Dr.I is in my future…

I particularly liked the Tamiya tape solution. Simple, effective. 

Best regards,

Paul

Thank-you Paul,

The Tamiya tape was used to both protect the stitching detail from getting excess Mr. Surfacer on it but more importantly to keep from  damaging the stitching detail with the Micromesh cloth during sanding. A tip I learned here from others builds.

Cheers,

Wolf

31 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

IIRC the WnWs site explains how to do the machining marks with paint as a tip for the Fokker E.II and E.III (early) kits.

They do, I was just hoping that Aviattic had done a full sheet of machining marks. Especially since Tamiya enamels are hard to find in the US.

Your build is looking great so far. I look forward to seeing the Aviattic decals applied to the exterior.

Matt