Mengnut Wings Fokker Dr. 1

Wolf Buddee

5 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Simply superb work Wolf!  I have used EZ Line for the control cables on all my previous WWI builds.  I keep telling myself I should try the method you are using for this aircraft's control lines and you are really motivating me to do it on my next WWI build.  How did you replicate the wooden control handles if I may ask?

Ernest

Thanks Ernest,

I find fishing line or monofilament thread better to use than EZ Line for a couple of reasons. EZ Line has a bit of a flat profile and if it’s twisted it’s easily seen. EZ Line also doesn’t provide any structural strength because of it’s stretch. Fishing line can be pulled tight or tensioned with heat and just like the steel cable it represents adds a lot of additional strength. Especially to WnWs kits as they mould the kit struts to scale.  I use an old, broken, dental tool heated over a candle flame for my heat source. Just hold the heated dental tool close the the line and you’ll see the line pull tight. It takes a bit of practice as I’ve burnt through a line or two getting too close with the hot dental tool. <_<

The wood handles on the control column where done with the same decal material as the floor just very small pieces. Heat from a hair dryer and Micro-Sol help the decal conform. I hope that all makes sense.

Cheers,

Wolf

Let me join the enthusiastic chorus of those above who are thrilled to see you back at the bench Wolf!   I have 3 WnWs kits in the stash and have never built a bi-plane of any kind, so I'll be sure to pay attention to your brilliant execution of all things modeling for future reference.

Cheers Buddee,

Chuck

5 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Let me join the enthusiastic chorus of those above who are thrilled to see you back at the bench Wolf!   I have 3 WnWs kits in the stash and have never built a bi-plane of any kind, so I'll be sure to pay attention to your brilliant execution of all things modeling for future reference.

Cheers Buddee,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

You’re going to love building your WnWs kits. They are incredibly well engineered and while certain assemblies can be finicky the instruction are second to none and if followed yield an awesome result. I sincerely wish I had bought more of their WW I kits and would have been first in line for the Lancaster. Boy that would have really been something!

Which 3 kits of theirs do you have?

Cheers,

Wolf

12 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Thanks Chuck,

Which 3 kits of theirs do you have?

Cheers,

Wolf

I bought the following kits about two years ago when WnW's was going out of business, to give me the option to build one or all of them at some point in the future.  I have no idea what they are or if they are even remotely desirable, but they were a good price at the time.

WNW32040 1/32 DFW C.V(Mid)
WNW32059 1/32 Salmson 2a2 USAS
WNW32061 1/32 DH.9a 'Ninak' (Postwar)

One thing I'm terrified of is all the fine rigging on these tiny airplanes.  I will be watching what you do with keen interest, since we already know that it will be perfect!

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

On 6/25/2021 at 8:16 AM, chuck540z3 said:

I bought the following kits about two years ago when WnW's was going out of business, to give me the option to build one or all of them at some point in the future.  I have no idea what they are or if they are even remotely desirable, but they were a good price at the time.

WNW32040 1/32 DFW C.V(Mid)
WNW32059 1/32 Salmson 2a2 USAS
WNW32061 1/32 DH.9a 'Ninak' (Postwar)

One thing I'm terrified of is all the fine rigging on these tiny airplanes.  I will be watching what you do with keen interest, since we already know that it will be perfect!

Cheers,

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

I have the Ninak as well and you’re right, the rigging should be fun. However with your skill set it won’t be insurmountable by any stretch of the imagination. You soon get in to a rhythm and before you know it yer done.

Cheers,

Wolf

OWith my wife at home recovering from back surgery I took some time off to be with her and help her. That also means I had time to work on the Fokker and push on with the cockpit interior interior. The fuselage side walls were painted with Tamiya lacquer Racing White which is a great representation of unbleached linen. The fabric portions were covered in Microsculpt fabric effect decals and the plywood was done with wood grain decal. The metal tube framing was painted with Model Master British Interior Green. The black rod and “T” handle with red stripe was moulded integral to and flush with the metal tube framing so it was removed and replaced with a length of brass tubing and a smaller length of nickel plated wire that was inserted in to the “T” handle at the end. The whole assembly is supposed to sit proud of the cockpit framing. The modification was super simple. Photos and drawings in the Kagero book show a pulse o meter on the right side of the cockpit so one from Taurus Models was added. Taurus Models indicates it’s for British aircraft but I couldn’t see any difference. The left side cockpit detail is essentially box stock but I did drill out the center of the red handle as it’s moulded solid. The seat base is woodgrain decal from Aviattic.

Cheers,

Wolf

rnHAWU0.jpg

q2ePhKN.jpg

Q08LyL6.jpg

Great progress!  Really like the decals.  I may be misremembering this, but I remember some discussion after this kit came out from Richard Alexander of WnW that the triangular panel should be covered with a red dope. I'll have to try to find his post about it again.  Although I'm sure the wood is perfectly fine.

Matt 

5 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Great progress!  Really like the decals.  I may be misremembering this, but I remember some discussion after this kit came out from Richard Alexander of WnW that the triangular panel should be covered with a red dope. I'll have to try to find his post about it again.  Although I'm sure the wood is perfectly fine.

Matt 

I believe you’re right Matt,

If I recall correctly the red brown colour was a stain that protected the exposed plywood from the elements. I tried to find the thread myself but couldn’t so chickened out on painting that nice wood grain.

Cheers,

Wolf