Models of Recent America’s Cup Contenders?

Uncarina

9 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Not really as hydrofoil is as far as I know based on water jets. Here they are just using wind. So, the similarity is limited to skids use.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Not really as hydrofoil is as far as I know based on water jets. Here they are just using wind. So, the similarity is limited to skids use.

Not necessarily water jets, just powered - I think:

1280px-Carl_XCH-4.jpg

XCH-4 of 1947

This is Forlanini on LAke Maggiori in 1906:

Forlanini_Idroplano-Forlani_Hydrofoil_19

Richard

Edited by RLWP

In 2017 the 35th Americas Cup was staged in Great Sound, Bermuda.  In the summer of 2018 the fambly and I took a cruise to Bermuda.  This is what happened to two of these boats upon retirement.

_DSC0656.JPG

Just walking along minding my own business when lo and behold there is Oracle.

_DSC0662.JPG

The Swedish contender.  Just sitting on the dock of the bay . . . . by the side of the road.

_DSC0661.JPG

_DSC0664.JPG

_DSC0665.JPG

_DSC0666.JPG

Sincerely,

Mark

5 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

In 2017 the 35th Americas Cup was staged in Great Sound, Bermuda.  In the summer of 2018 the fambly and I took a cruise to Bermuda.  This is what happened to two of these boats upon retirement.

_DSC0656.JPG

Just walking along minding my own business when lo and behold there is Oracle.

_DSC0662.JPG

The Swedish contender.  Just sitting on the dock of the bay . . . . by the side of the road.

_DSC0661.JPG

_DSC0664.JPG

_DSC0665.JPG

_DSC0666.JPG

Sincerely,

Mark

Amazing! I’m very curious as to how and why they ended up there. Makes me wish there was a dedicated museum for the America’s Cup boats. When I was on my honeymoon my wife and I visited San Diego harbor, and saw the US contender moored there, a catamaran. I was like a little boy I was so excited!

Cheers,  Tom

I used to race in little 420 class skiffs as a teenager and love the grown up stuff on TV, especially when they overlay the graphics in real-time. 

Always wanted to build the Bluenose II  in wood. Might look at Billings kits etc. 

Tony 

I built the Artesania Latina Bluenose II, took three years in the ‘90’s, and pause every day I walk past the display case to check it out. I love the sleek shape of the hull and overall lines. It’s an investment in time but a lifetime of payback.

Cheers,  Tom

On 6/23/2021 at 6:19 AM, dodgem37 said:

What a revolution of craft.  I just love these boats.  And we owe it all to the Kiwis.  Thank you, guys!

Sincerely,

Mark

Maybe we owe it to Ben Lexan, Allen Bond and the crew of Australia II for wrestling the cup out of the hands of the NYYC :D

Edited by Smokeyforgothispassword