AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Completed-05/07

mustang1989

Alright gang. After this Me-262 build of mine I've just about made my mind up that the next build I'll be taking on will be the latest release of AMT's '67 Mustang by Round 2. The kit has alot going for it in the fact that there's updated decals, cleaner molds and pad printed tires.

svebSS.jpg

I've been wanting to build one of these anyhow since I owned 3 different '67's . My last one was my favorite as it had a 351W with a 4spd and 3.55 gears and it just so happened to be the same Acapulco Blue that the fastback on the box top is. Fun car and I had a LOT of fun driving it through the years.

SLsUna.jpg

tJBfNL.jpg

This is the only picture I can find of the engine as of right now and this is in car #2. A 351W from a '69 Mach 1 with 4 barrel heads, Comp Cams 280H cam, MSD Unilite Ignition and a Holley 650 Double Pumper. It also had 11:1 compression. Note to everybody out there that knows anything about cars. NEVER do that on the street. You're guaranteed to be plagued with detonation problems unless you run HIGH octane fuel all the time. (98 or better). This engine did make this car haul like a scaled assed ape though.

Lw0caE.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Nice! I had a 66 Fastback but it had a 298 with an automatic transmission. 

It was fast! Sold it...and then in 93 bought an 88 GT with a 5.0. Now it's 

got a 5.0 with a 1/2 inch lift roller cam...roller rockers...24 pound injectors 

and a 9 pound supercharger. I had a 73 Bronco I built a 351W for and it was a 

screamer too! I'll follow this mustang build for sure!

Cheers...Ron

45 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

Nice! I had a 66 Fastback but it had a 298 with an automatic transmission. 

It was fast! Sold it...and then in 93 bought an 88 GT with a 5.0. Now it's 

got a 5.0 with a 1/2 inch lift roller cam...roller rockers...24 pound injectors 

and a 9 pound supercharger. I had a 73 Bronco I built a 351W for and it was a 

screamer too! I'll follow this mustang build for sure!

Cheers...Ron

I had an 89 that I did all that stuff too as well but had nitrous instead of a supercharger. That car was wicked fast. Thanks for following Ron and I hope not to disappoint.

A good friend had one as well, (back in the 80’s) a 67 purplish/blue exterior with black interior, a fastback, 289 4 speed, his gf “borrowed” it one night, went to a gravel pit “bush” party, got stuck and in the process of “rocking it” took out 2 mains and at least 4 rod bearings…she became a quite unpopular persona non grata after that.

the car got a (if I remember right?) 429 upgrade after that

1 hour ago, chrish said:

A good friend had one as well, (back in the 80’s) a 67 purplish/blue exterior with black interior, a fastback, 289 4 speed, his gf “borrowed” it one night, went to a gravel pit “bush” party, got stuck and in the process of “rocking it” took out 2 mains and at least 4 rod bearings…she became a quite unpopular persona non grata after that.

the car got a (if I remember right?) 429 upgrade after that

That's why some girlfriends aren't worth keeping!!! LOL!

13 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

That's why some girlfriends aren't worth keeping!!! LOL!

When the wife and I were still dating (40 years ago) I had a 69 with a 351w. The wife called it the "other woman". And NO! I wouldn't let her drive it. Probably why I'm still married 40 years later. LOL

Wish I had that car now......... 

4 minutes ago, Ayovan said:

When the wife and I were still dating (40 years ago) I had a 69 with a 351w. The wife called it the "other woman". And NO! I wouldn't let her drive it. Probably why I'm still married 40 years later. LOL

Wish I had that car now......... 

same thing my (now X wife but girlfriend then) called my 73 Charger…”the other woman”. As it turned out one was built better, went faster, had a smoother ride, didn’t stop/change it’s mind all by itself and didn’t care if you rode in someone else’s… 

LOL!!! Cool and funny backstories fellas!! I the '67when my wife and I met each other. She drove it.........once....and knew that I really liked that car and didn't want to be responsible for anything that may have gone wrong during the drive. I owned the car for around 10 years before I sold it off and purchased my next Mustang....which turned out to be alot faster car but didn't have near the nostalgia that the 67 had. 

Nevertheless, I really loved my 89. It was faster, had A/C, tilt, cruise, power windows and was just an all around fun car to drive. Wished I still had that one too. The only thing I didn't like about having 3" wheels up front was that you couldn't hit ANY potholes. It only took one little one to bend a wheel which you'll see in the first photo. It was replaced within a few days of that photo. I think I would up replacing 4 or 5 wheels but it just looked so COOL. Lol. 

rVMWri.jpg

9R31bp.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

22 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

SLsUna.jpg

tJBfNL.jpg

Man, had to do a double take, That looks EXACTLY like my brothers 1967!!! He bought it in IIRC 1977, barely 10 years old and it suffered from bad rust damage. Lots of work always needed, but lots of fun/experience. He wrecked it, pulled engine for my 1965 Fairlane, more work/fun/experience...

Don

Edited by dmthamade

There was some rust damage to this one as well but I got most of it taken care of. Sucks that he wrecked the car and I know all too well that those cars do NOT stand up wrecking very well. Pretty much just tin cans with pretty panels bolted to them. Beautiful cars but man.......underneath all that beauty......just wow.

Edited by mustang1989

3 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

There was some rust damage to this one as well but I got most of it taken care of. Sucks that he wrecked the car and I know all too well that those cars do NOT stand up wrecking very well. Pretty much just tin cans with pretty panels bolted to them. Beautiful cars but man.......underneath all that beauty......just wow.

Yup!! Recently worked on two 1968s. Looked ok on the outside, but underneath they were rusted out wrecks. New owners paid over 20k for their ponycars, but if they wern't mustangs, they would be at most $2000 cars. DON'T buy cars sight unseen off the internet!!! Have other examples of bad internet purchases, just don't do it sight unseen.

Don

18 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

Fox Bodies rock! My 88 is that same red but when I had it repainted he put about a gallon of clear coat 

on it so it looks like it's wet sitting in the garage!

I remember when the fox body mustangs first came out. Carbureted at first(2bbl) then 4bbl, then EFI. They were(are) a lot of fun, LXs were popular due to lower costs but with optional 302. I remember reading how Law Enforcement started using them, cops in mustangs, who would have thought...USAF used them as U-2/TR-1A chase cars as well. Fun times...

Don

Edited by dmthamade