AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Completed-05/07

mustang1989

2 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Yup!! Recently worked on two 1968s. Looked ok on the outside, but underneath they were rusted out wrecks. New owners paid over 20k for their ponycars, but if they wern't mustangs, they would be at most $2000 cars. DON'T buy cars sight unseen off the internet!!! Have other examples of bad internet purchases, just don't do it sight unseen.

Don

we don't have too much of a rust problem with west coast cars. Worst I ever had was some rust at the bottom of the rear window sill on my 66 malibu. And NO! she didn't get to drive that one either. lol

On 6/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, aircommando130 said:

Fox Bodies rock! My 88 is that same red but when I had it repainted he put about a gallon of clear coat 

on it so it looks like it's wet sitting in the garage!

Got pics? That would be great to see that car. That was one year prior to the MAF systems wasn't it? Or did you do a MAF conversion on it? 

On 6/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, dmthamade said:

Yup!! Recently worked on two 1968s. Looked ok on the outside, but underneath they were rusted out wrecks. New owners paid over 20k for their ponycars, but if they wern't mustangs, they would be at most $2000 cars. DON'T buy cars sight unseen off the internet!!! Have other examples of bad internet purchases, just don't do it sight unseen.

Don

On 6/20/2021 at 8:44 AM, dmthamade said:

I remember when the fox body mustangs first came out. Carbureted at first(2bbl) then 4bbl, then EFI. They were(are) a lot of fun, LXs were popular due to lower costs but with optional 302. I remember reading how Law Enforcement started using them, cops in mustangs, who would have thought...USAF used them as U-2/TR-1A chase cars as well. Fun times...

Don

I never buy anything without seeing it first. Seen waaaay too many people get burned like that.

I got a chance to see a U2 Chaser once. Awesome stuff.

On 6/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, Ayovan said:

we don't have too much of a rust problem with west coast cars. Worst I ever had was some rust at the bottom of the rear window sill on my 66 malibu. And NO! she didn't get to drive that one either. lol

LOL!!! 

On 6/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, mustang1989 said:

Got pics? That would be great to see that car. That was one year prior to the MAF systems wasn't it? Or did you do a MAF conversion on it? 

It was a speed density car but I converted it to mass air for that engine I built. It's dyno'd over 400hp so I've had to go to a 255 LPH

fuel pump and a MSD-6 to keep the spark from blowing out. It has the cervani fiberglass hood that looks like the 72 mustang Mach 1.

No back seat...back seat eliminator kit...white face instrument cluster and a gray and red leather interior. 4 wheel disc brakes with 5 bolt

rotors all the way around. It's wicked fast too. Every time I've tried to post pictures here it is an ultimate fail. PM me and I can show you direct.

Ron

On 6/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, aircommando130 said:

It was a speed density car but I converted it to mass air for that engine I built. It's dyno'd over 400hp so I've had to go to a 255 LPH

fuel pump and a MSD-6 to keep the spark from blowing out. It has the cervani fiberglass hood that looks like the 72 mustang Mach 1.

No back seat...back seat eliminator kit...white face instrument cluster and a gray and red leather interior. 4 wheel disc brakes with 5 bolt

rotors all the way around. It's wicked fast too. Every time I've tried to post pictures here it is an ultimate fail. PM me and I can show you direct.

Ron

Sent you that PM Ron. That does sound fast....especially in a 3100 lb car.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it looks like the 262 is at last finished and I took a day or so break but felt the need to get back to the bench this morning. I started out on the engine in which I like how the basic engine layout is done. A one piece engine block with a separate oil pan which is a good thing because there is less of a seam line going down the middle of the bellhousing, oil pan and down the front of the engine between the intake manifold and timing cover. In the foreground you'll see the two parts that I just CANNOT use. This aint no P-51 Mustang so out goes the four bladed prop and I'm still trying to figure out just what in the hell they were thinking in regards to the carburetor. Man..........c'mon Round 2. The distributor is also a little weird looking so I may switch that out as well. The one other issue that I have with the engine is that it doesn't have an oil filter. To me this was a big deal but may not be to some folks. But................there's nowhere to put it either because the engine mount bosses cover the exact area where the filter is supposed to go. Looks like that part will be skipped on this build.

All of the engine parts needed cleaning up but the exhaust manifolds were the areas that needed the most. When cleaning these up with the X-acto blade you've gotta be careful because this plastic is REALLY soft. You can take off more than you want quicker than you're ready for if you're not careful. Just a heads up to anyone out there that wants to build this kit.

Additionally, on the back side of the exhaust manifolds are what looks like casting protrusions towards the front of each manifold and they may very well be BUT......in test fitting the manifolds to the cylinder head with the head fitted onto the engine block these protrusions also serve as a standoff which steadies positions them about where they are supposed to be in relation to the manifold exhaust outlets. So...................I left em in place.

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Progress-07/10
  • 2 months later...

Well let's see here gang. I'm just going to jump in here and hit the highlights. 

Managed to get the engine finished up. 

Glamour shots before she gets tucked away till a later part of the build.

It's pretty close to my original 351W that I had waaay back when:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• mustang1989 changed the title to AMT '67 Mustang Fastback-Back in Progress-10/09
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 2:51 AM, Gazzas said:

That's one fine looking engine, Joe!

Thanks Gazz! I've been making process on this one still. Just haven't had much time left over for forums as of late. Got a LOT going on right now after a hit and run accident involving our sons truck out in front of our house. Fortunately no one was hurt as we were all inside sleeping when it happened overnight. Found the car that hit it though and am working on an insurance claim so we can get this kid either his existing truck fixed or finding another ride. There's alot of stress right now in getting all of this taken care of. 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, mustang1989 said:

That's a good looking kit Kevin and I've seen one built up somewhere on the forums. There's not much left out of it either as far as details go if I remember correctly but then again......it is a 1:12 kit. lol

Yea, twice as big, but ten times the price!

• 6 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Yea, twice as big, but ten times the price!

Been a while pal. Been a tough go since I've been on here last. Both on forums and at the bench but have made my way back. My mom passed away on January 23rd after a very short battle with Covid pneumonia. She was 72 and in really bad health and had just about every card in the world stacked against her. She might've made it through had she not waited so long to get medical attention so by the time she did go in it was pretty much too late. The pneumonia set in hard core and she went on a ventilator and passed 10 days later. I'll be getting back in here to get re-settled back in and crank the progress forward back up. I've since finished the Mustang and will be posting photos here shortly but I thought I'd at least let you know why you guys haven't seen much of me as of late. Take care bro, be seeing you around , Joe