Halberd Models Cavalier F-51D Mustang/ Mustang II Conversion for the Tamiya P-51D kit

LSP_Ray

Hi Ray,

Nice review, I have two 1/48 sets and one 1/32 set on the way.

I had a personal attachment to the Bolivian FAB 923, I know the owner who purchased it in 1977. I did some work on it, including upgrades in the avionics. For the most part he did keep it stock.

Correct on the two seats not being the same, I had many flights in the back. That seat folded up.

I have cockpit pictures in my collection somewhere. I can scan and send them to you, once I find them, if you would like to add them to your article. Instrument panel was gray too.

She still flies to this day, Ross sold her in 1997 for $2.5 million and the new owner restored her to WWII specs, for a period of time she flew as American Beauty, she is now Loui IV (N151MC).

Ross flew her as “What’s Up Doc” with Bugs Bunny nose art (C-GMUS).

I saw some pics of "What's up Doc!" That is cool you got to work on it. I would love any cockpit pics you have.

Halberd uses two different seats, but they use both from the Tamiya kit, using the simpler early seat in the back. I figured it wasn't correct, but doable, but I would like to make it as accurate as possible. I have a copy of the Cavalier manual, but it only has the front cockpit, with no pics o either seat.

7 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

Hi Ray,

I had a personal attachment to the Bolivian FAB 923, I know the owner who purchased it in 1977. I did some work on it, including upgrades in the avionics. For the most part he did keep it stock.

Correct on the two seats not being the same, I had many flights in the back. That seat folded up.

I have cockpit pictures in my collection somewhere. I can scan and send them to you, once I find them, if you would like to add them to your article. Instrument panel was gray too.

She still flies to this day, Ross sold her in 1997 for $2.5 million and the new owner restored her to WWII specs, for a period of time she flew as American Beauty, she is now Loui IV (N151MC).

Have you seen that Draw Decals has "What's up Doc" decals on their website...

18 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

Hi Ray,

There were three Cavaleir Mustangs brought up to Edmonton in the 70's from Bolivia first registered to Arny Carnegie. Ross Grady bought What's Up Doc which now flies as Lou IV as you say,  the other was bought by Ritchie Rasmussen back in the 70's but sold and now flies as "Mormon Mustang" and the last was bought by my best friends dad, Larry Mockford but since sold and now flies as "Six Shooter". But if you search the history on these planes the last two show as owned by Neil McClain, with no mention of Ritchie or Larry but this info above is accurate.  I am not sure why that is.  I'll have to ask Larry next time I see him.

5 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

There were three Cavaleir Mustangs brought up to Edmonton in the 70's from Bolivia first registered to Arny Carnegie. Ross Grady bought What's Up Doc which now flies as Lou IV as you say,  the other was bought by Ritchie Rasmussen back in the 70's but sold and now flies as "Mormon Mustang" and the last was bought by my best friends dad, Larry Mockford but since sold and now flies as "Six Shooter". But if you search the history on these planes the last two show as owned by Neil McClain, with no mention of Ritchie or Larry but this info above is accurate.  I am not sure why that is.  I'll have to ask Larry next time I see him.

Actually five were brought up. And yes Arny was the documented owner for the first year of the Mustang that Ross owned but I believe the funding was always in place from Ross.

One was tied up in a divorce fight for many years.