Server Migration!

LSP_Kevin

I'm pleased to report that the site backup process has finally completed after a mere 48 hours. This has put me 47 hours behind schedule, so my initial plan to have the migration completed by the end of today (Monday) has now gone down the tubes, and it will be at least mid-week before the upload process to the new server has finished. This means we probably won't be able to cut over to the new server until next Friday at the earliest.

Stay tuned!

Kev

39 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

Thanks Kev for all your efforts.  Hardly any disruptions on my end.

Nor should there be! So far, I've just been backing up the site - over 224000 files via FTP, with each file download requiring its own transaction overhead. This is the reason that many small files take longer to move anywhere than fewer large files of the same overall payload size. Think of charging down a freeway at 100km/h for 100km, versus doing the same stretch with a set of traffic lights every 100m.

The interruption to the site will come when I have to switch off the forums and move them over to the new server, and this is looking like the end of the week at this stage.

Kev

39 minutes ago, ChuckD said:

Are you able to do a delta backup of the content that was posted between when the backup was completed and the new server is online?

It's really not worth the hassle. It'll take me about 10 minutes to grab a backup of the forum database (which I do daily anyway), and then probably a bit longer than that to import it into the new server. (The backup I've just completed is for the static files on the server only.) After that, it's just a matter of configuring the DNS and uploading the SSL certificate, and we should be live once again. So probably an hour of work all up, and then the usual DNS propagation bingo after that.

Kev

22 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It's really not worth the hassle. It'll take me about 10 minutes to grab a backup of the forum database (which I do daily anyway), and then probably a bit longer than that to import it into the new server. (The backup I've just completed is for the static files on the server only.) After that, it's just a matter of configuring the DNS and uploading the SSL certificate, and we should be live once again. So probably an hour of work all up, and then the usual DNS propagation bingo after that.

Kev

Oh sweet.  That's slick.  In my experience, DNS propagates worldwide pretty quickly, so hopefully downtime will be very minimal.  Again, thanks for your hard work, Kev.  This place is great and I'm really thankful that and the mods put in all the work here.

Just a quick update, folks: the uploading of site files onto the new server is roughly 70% complete now, and on track to finish Wednesday morning my time. At this juncture, I'm reserving the right to push the final go-live steps back to Friday, rather than do them when I'm tired and punch-drunk after work!

Kev

Wednesday morning here, and the upload process is still ongoing, though currently about 90% complete. None of you will have experienced any issues related to this process, simply because so far it has only involved backing up the existing site (done), and uploading it to the new server (in progress). Once the upload process is complete, at that stage I will need to take the site offline while I switch everything over to the new server, which I'm planning to do on Friday (my time). There will be some actual downtime of an hour or so at that point, followed by a brief period of variable access while our new server address gets updated around the Internet.

Kev

I'm pleased to report that the upload process has finally completed, giving about 100 hours of constant data transfers between the two stages. I've done some preliminary config, tweaking, and testing, and it's looking good for going live on Friday! I'll give everyone as much heads-up as I can on the day, before I pull the trigger.

Kev