1/32 Generic Decals for WW2 U.S. Fuselage Code Letters and Numbers?

Jeff T

Hi all, 

Doe’s anyone know if there are any 1/32 generic WW2 U.S. Fuselage code numbers and letters decal sheets that exist?

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheer’s,

Jeff.

None that I know of.  I don't even think they exist in 1/48 or 1/72 any more.  I have a set of old Aeromaster codes in 1/72 and some Superscale in 1/48 but that's all I know of and they're long, long, out of production.  Do what most of use do, use masks.  If you need custom masks I'm sure there's someone who can make them but you'll have to know the size, width, and stroke of said codes.  I have a Silouette Cameo 4 that I've not yet used and if I knew how, I'd offer to do it but I haven't made my own yet so I'm kind of leary about offering something that I might not be able to deliver in a timely manner. 

Thanks for that Jug!

I have Montex masks for the build I’m doing, but Im having a lot of trouble with the metallic paint lifting, and I have to keep going over areas after I’ve masked off for different sections, I’m fed up with it, so I’m going to use decals for the insignia to play it safe, and was wondering if there were any sets out there for the lettering and numbers.

Looks like I’ll just have to risk using the masks I have.

Cheer’s,

Jeff.

Thanks Kagemusha, I’ll check out their availability, but I’ll probably end up risking it with the ones I have, just thought I’d see if there were any decal options out there..

Cheer’s,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

Have you considered commercial (letraset, etc) rub-on transfers? They can be “rubbed on” to clear decal material and applied as wet-slide decals. Moreover, they don’t require clear coating before or after application. 

Yes Rob, I was wondering if there might have been some rub on transfer ones I didnt know about, I haven’t tried Letraset though, thanks for the advice..

Cheer’s, 

Jeff.

Model Graphics by Woodland Scenics

While Jennings is undoubtedly correct, MG offers 45 degree letters/numbers in several colors, which could be altered to fit your needs. What’s more they won’t lift your paint. . .

Jennings, its this P-47, "Snortin Bull"

XF6QPej.jpg

.....but its ok, I'm going to give the Montex Masks that I have a go, and hope they dont lift anymore paint, ..I just wanted to know if anyone knew of a decal sheet or two that had the letters and numbers on them that was available for a safer option, but as you say, there are all sorts of variations its probably impossible to do a decal sheet of them all.

Thanks for the help,

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Jeff T

black decals can be easily made to replace your masks if you're afraid of the the lifting paint issue.

D Y8 can be scaled from your masks and it's a 2 minute job to create the letters. 

print on transparent decal paper (inkjet or laserjet according to your printer) and gloss coat them. 

For these I would always prefer masks than decals and to avoid the lifting paint issue you can paint the black first and then place the masks and paint metallic over it. But I guess it is too late for you to do that.

If you're unable to print the decals, I'll be happy to help with the lettering decals.

16 minutes ago, red Dog said:

black decals can be easily made to replace your masks if you're afraid of the the lifting paint issue.

D Y8 can be scaled from your masks and it's a 2 minute job to create the letters. 

print on transparent decal paper (inkjet or laserjet according to your printer) and gloss coat them. 

For these I would always prefer masks than decals and to avoid the lifting paint issue you can paint the black first and then place the masks and paint metallic over it. But I guess it is too late for you to do that.

If you're unable to print the decals, I'll be happy to help with the lettering decals.

Thank you very much for the info and the offer to help with the decal lettering Red Dog!.....I will certainly try this method if I have too much trouble with the masks.

Much appreciated!

Jeff.

6 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

They look alright Maru, but I would have to compare them closely with the masks, plus I would need them in black, and it doesn't look as though they come in any other colours.

I will try the masks I have, and if that fails, I'll try Red Dogs method.

Thanks very much,

Jeff.