KH’s F-9F Cougar redux

quang

Following the news of Kitty Hawk closing up, I unearthed these photos of the 1/48 F-9F Cougar build I made some years ago.

It was done without any after-market stuff. I just added some home-grown tweaks like cockpit and seat details, two sliding rails to open up the gun compartment, plastic card wing fences and replacing the landing gear with Monogram Panther’s own.

ECD8-BC15-2696-49-BB-B03-D-3-D7-C3-A361-

B0436792-E3-FE-49-E7-9-DAA-378-EEADE6-BA

59-E45-A9-F-6845-44-B0-AA5-D-577636-C642

234-C75-B6-7514-4-C8-D-AC39-453-DA95-A6-

5-E21034-F-B047-4-D59-9-B18-51-D27-E1-A5

559-F11-CE-0620-486-D-A4-D9-3-AF0204-CFF

As an aside, this kit has been called ‘unbuildable’ at its release by a well-known veteran reviewer who literally threw it in his trash can in an internet article.

Pity I don’t know the exact location of the trash can because I’m desperately in need of a second kit to build a gull grey version.

Cheers,

Quang

Great looking Cougar, Quang!

The story about the unbuildable Cougar made me laugh when I read it. I built the two-seat Cougar in a week and won a model competition with it. The best reviews are those of modellers that actually build the model. I saw you didn't finish the P-39? Can I? It's the only KH 1/32 kit I didn't build.

I like the finish of your kit, what colour did you use for the wash? Is it white or light grey? Looks good!

Nic

Haha, Nic. I’m old school, I don’t use exterior washes on my models.
I sometimes use dot filters on lightly-coloured finishes like gull grey but that’s it.

To achieve the panel effect you see on the kit, I merely polished ever so slightly the paint with a paper tissue and let the lighting do its trick.

I stopped building the P-39 when I failed miserably at my first attempts to do paint flaking effects on the undercarriage legs.
Now a few years on, I’m ready to build a second one if only the kit is not so expensive (at least more expensive than I remember it was) ;)

Cheers,

Quang

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...