Mirage III which one???

raphaelmd

Hello guys,

I am looking after a mirage 3 but I am not sure which one is the best... italeri III E/R or the revell?

Looking at the price they are quite the same but what about the fitting and a assembly quality?

Thank's for your advices 

Raphaël 

4 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

It's, probably, the same kit, if you look at the product timeline here you can see the differences, and similarities, but don't get any other Revell Mirage, the other releases are ancient.

I have the newer Revell one, and it is the Italeri plastic,  without the etch. Agreed, don't mistake it for the earlier Revell. Having said that,  I've seen some very good models made from the old kit.

Edited by MikeC

Yup, same kit, building one now.

Italeri have Cartograf decals and some etch, Revell just the plastic and standard decals.

It´s a good kit, but slightly overpriced IMHO.

Stefan :)

The current release Revell 1/32 Mirage IIIE is the exact same kit as the Italeri one just with different decals. Very expensive for what it is (if paying retail price) with a raft of fit issues and soft details; basically it's a 1/48 kit scaled up to 1/32 details wise. Some people have achieved very good results with the kit but that is more a testament to the individual modellers' skills than the kit itself.

I don't know if it's the same where you live, but lots of traders heavily discount the Revell boxing quite frequently and I have seen them being sold brand new for as little as £40.00 here in the UK which is abut all the kit is worth. Normal retail here is normally about £65.00-£70.00 though strangely, you never see the Italeri boxing of the same kit discounted. Best bet - buy a second hand one from another modeller cheap as I have also seen one being sold (as new) for £25.00 at a model show club stand just before lockdown.

Gary

On 6/5/2021 at 6:04 AM, MikeC said:

I have the newer Revell one, and it is the Italeri plastic,  without the etch. Agreed, don't mistake it for the earlier Revell. Having said that,  I've seen some very good models made from the old kit.

Great models true but 

I‘m currently building the Revell (Italeri without the PE parts, and with different decals) Mirage IIIE, and this is what I‘ve found so far:

Positive:

- very good level of detail

- captures the look of a Mirage very well

- great decals

- often available cheaply; got mine off Amazon for €40,-, retail is €80,- and Italeri‘s is around €100,-

Negative:

- poor fit of almost all parts. Lots and lots of sanding required

- very tricky wing fit, see above. Lots of care required to ensure that they have the correct, slight anhedral

- nose wheel retraction strut is too long, the instructions tells you to cut it in two and shorten it by 4.5 (!) mm and butt-join the parts again; not so sure how well this is going to work

- tricky engine fit; align and glue it in place on its bulkhead before closing up the fuselage (contrary to the instructions)

Conclusion:

A large, impressive, and good-looking model; so I‘m pleased with it and can live with the above issues for the €40,- I paid. I would have been furious if I had paid more.

hi

something that can be helpful to get a perfect , and easy wing /fuselage fit , first glue the lower wing to the lower fuselage part .......well  , for better explanations , take a look at Mistral 's thread , he will give you the tip better than I will 

Alain