Dukie99

I will join this GB with Trumpeter Mig-29 SMT. I will try for a simple build with limited amount of AM: Quinta studio cockpit details, Aires burner cans and Reskit wheels. I did not find any aftermarket decals for this kit but I have enough spare bort numbers and russian stars from Linden Hill decals that I should not have to rely on the kit's decals. I may also use the begemot Mig-29 stencils but we'll see because I am not sure whether they are appropriate for a SMT.

Box shot:

i-ZcFSkpV-L.jpg

The top part is an impressive piece of molding, the airvents are separate parts but the fit is very good:

i-JZS96np-XL.jpg

Quinta studio set

i-HhnCPr3-L.jpg

Resin AM has been given a bath of diluted bleach and resin plugs have been cut, need to prep the parts for primer.

i-Mh9Shzs-L.jpg

i-xzWcL7p-L.jpg

The Aires can are not meant for the SMT, so I am not sure how they fit the kit but I will give it a try.

I wish there would be more resin ordnances for modern russian jets. Reskit has started come up with a nice range but mostly smaller dumb bombs and rocket pods. I will probably go with some of the kit's ordnance.

Cheers,

David

I made some good progress today, working on the cockpit. I had used Quinta set for a Su-57 Felon build in 1/48 and had been impressed by the quality of the product, but the Mig-29SMT set in 1/32 is even better. The fit is perfect, the resin is flexible enough to conform well to the plastic. I used Mig Ultra glue and it works really well. See for yourself:

i-mPJGrZS-L.jpg 

Looking at it straight on the panel is flat, at an angle the screens and dials have a glassy look which is great

i-c7nwKv4-L.jpg

and now the rest of the pit and seat

i-V6jf6N4-L.jpg

i-d6zbXMC-L.jpg

i-FXxKCCQ-L.jpg

i-znB9S5S-L.jpg

i-vsX8gw7-L.jpg

I highly recommend this set and looking at reference pictures in the Yefim Gordon book, it is also a very accurate representation of the real thing.

More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

• 4 months later...
14 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Hey guys, did Trumpeter make corrections to the SMT vs. the 9-12? I ask because there was some observations of trouble with the initial release of the 9-12 (Fulcrum A).

What corrections are you looking for?  If you’re talking the engine humps on the upper fuselages, then no.

I am back at this one with the hope of finishing before the end of November. All my modelling mojo has been sucked up by SH-60 that I started for the Navy GB. The kit itself is great with tons of details, but the instructions are so confusing or non-existant (even after downloading the correction) that it kills the fun. Anyway back to the Mig.

Today I put the last touch to the cockpit. The PE which Trumpeter provides for the HUD and the glare shield is very good and complement nicely the Quinta set which is great.

I cannot judge for the accuracy of the kit but it looks like a SMT and build well, you still need a bit of filler here and there but otherwise I think it is a solid effort for Trumpeter.

I got myself some Aires cans, which were designed for the Mig-29K or M. They fit but leave a nasty gap on the bottom where the cans join the fuselage. I bought some Reskit cans instead and they seem to fit better, but I need to finish them first before posting pictures.

Here are pics of the finished cockpit

i-KsbPcDC-L.jpg 

i-9mfdprb-L.jpg

More progress soon.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK something to show tonight. I finished the main camo painting. I used the grey-green colors made for the SMT by Mr. Paint and I like the way they came out. I still have some touch-up and a number of panels which needs to be masked and painted but the main effort has been done. I hope you like it.

i-zG85n86-L.jpg

i-zctFn7N-L.jpg

i-9zzq6rf-L.jpg

i-HtpjDWF-L.jpg

i-7sRDLJz-L.jpg

i-MqMgJBN-L.jpg

Cheers,

David