DFW C.I

RLWP

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

I'm on new territory here, I have some litho plate coming and have ben considering copper too. Mainly because I can easily anneal it

So, how do you suck an egg?

Richard

And why would you want to??

Yes its the easily annealed / cuts easily that is for me the best about copper sheet. I bought a 0.1 mm roll from China for about a fiver , will outlast me . 

Also bought some self adhesive aluminium on a roll as well ,sort of thing they use for ducting repairs not duct tape  ,is thinner and makes a good hinge . 

Edited by Panzerwomble

2 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

Yes its the easily annealed / cuts easily that is for me the best about copper sheet. I bought a 0.1 mm roll from China for about a fiver , will outlast me . 

I've ordered some 0.3mm stuff - I couldn't find any 0.1!

Want to swap some thick for some thin?

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Well, thanks to Guy @Panzerwomble and Peter @airscale, something has actually progressed on this one!

I've been dabbling with different materials for the cowling, including litho, resulting in this:

DSCF1762.JPG

That's made in litho, and I think as a first attempt I have been too ambitious with the plate. So I switched to 0.1mm copper:

DSCF1764.JPG

Much more successful, it's a material I am happier working with. I've still got a lot to learn, however that's going to be good enough.

DSCF1765.JPG

And on to the next step:

DSCF1766.JPG

Richard

Edited by RLWP

2 hours ago, TimW said:

Wow!  Looks pretty good to me!

It's OK. Fortunately it's going to end up painted, so I can use filler to sort out the undesirable bits.

If it had to be polished alloy - it's terrible :D. It really makes me appreciate what Peter is doing with his build

Richard

9 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I have found that the hardest thing was getting metal parts to fit exactly as a scale model should.  So much trouble that I haven't tried again.  I'll be looking forward to yours.  Maybe I'll learn something.

I've approached this the other way around. I made the former for the upper panels, made the panels then used the former to mark out the fuselage shape

So, in theory, the fuselage is the same shape as the panels.

Yeah, right...:hmmm:

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...