Tamiya XF-16 flat Aluminium grainy effect

Binzy

Hi,

so i mixed some colors together to replicate the Ocean Grey color.

i mixed Dark sea grey, Metallic Blue & Flat aluminium (all tamiya acrylic) to come close to the Ocean Grey 

after airbrushing i got a very Grainy effect 

any idea how to avoid this? 
or what is it am i doing wrong....

thank you

Welcome aboard, Binzy!

:post1:

I've just moved your question to the appropriate section of the forums.

To answer your question, there could be a number of reasons for the results you're getting, but the most obvious one is that the paint isn't thin enough. What are you thinning the mix with, and to what ratio?

Kev

14 minutes ago, Binzy said:

Hi,

so i mixed some colors together to replicate the Ocean Grey color.

i mixed Dark sea grey, Metallic Blue & Flat aluminium (all tamiya acrylic) to come close to the Ocean Grey 

after airbrushing i got a very Grainy effect 

any idea how to avoid this? 
or what is it am i doing wrong....

thank you

Tamiya already makes Ocean Grey, it is XF82. Assuming that we are talking about the RAF colours, not a colour used on a car or maybe a Gundam model, why would you need to use metallic paints to make Ocean Grey? 

Radu 

Edited by Radub

Mix it about 50:50 with X22, thin within an inch of its life, spray over gloss black at low pressure with a small aperture close to the model. Takes time but it works for me.

But I can only echo Radu ^^^ why mix Ocean Grey when it comes ready mixed?

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Welcome aboard, Binzy!

:post1:

I've just moved your question to the appropriate section of the forums.

To answer your question, there could be a number of reasons for the results you're getting, but the most obvious one is that the paint isn't thin enough. What are you thinning the mix with, and to what ratio?

Kev

Hey

i am using Tamiya’s X-20A acrylic thinner.... and my mixing ratio would be aprox 40:60/50:50 paint -thinner

Thank you

When I shoot Tamiya acrylics, I thin them with Tamiya's yellow-cap lacquer thinner. It really shoots better and smooths the acrylics out, as well as gets a better bite into the plastic. It mixes very well with the Tamiya acrylics. 

Of course, you have to deal with the lacquer fumes, and I always suggest doing some testing on a paint mule, but it works really well for me.

If you don't like lacquers, I also believe Tamiya has a acrylic retarder out there?

Tamiya Flat Aluminum has a very coarse pigment to it. That's probably what is creating the graininess. You could try using Tamiya LP-11 silver in their lacquer range. It has a much finer pigment to it and can be mixed with their acrylics but you will need their lacquer thinner to thin it. 

Carl