Revell Bf 109G6/R6 1/32 Pilot Gottfried Weiroster

Gazzas

7 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looking good, Gaz! I'd definitely be looking to shim those gaps with styrene strip. Even if you have to then rescribe the panel lines, it won't be difficult to do.

Kev

Thank you, Kev!

Those bumps look really good, lots of patience required, though in real life they may not have been such a good fit.

For gaps in wing roots I always use plastic card and CA, then I rescribe any panel lines just a slight distance from the join as below.

iAXEL5.jpg

To match the panel line I use a curved PE piece to match the join and then cut it out in Dymo tape and use it as a guide.

JzKOOA.jpg

pmn2up.jpg

8x401j.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

28 minutes ago, dennismcc said:

Those bumps look really good, lots of patience required, though in real life they may not have been such a good fit.

For gaps in wing roots I always use plastic card and CA, then I rescribe any panel lines just a slight distance from the join as below.

iAXEL5.jpg

To match the panel line I use a curved PE piece to match the join and then cut it out in Dymo tape and use it as a guide.

JzKOOA.jpg

pmn2up.jpg

8x401j.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis!  Nice looking pieces of photo etch.  Thanks for that tip!

13 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Beautiful work on blending the bulges on the cowling and wings.

It doesn’t look as if you could have gotten it any better, as to me, it looks perfect.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you. Wolf! 

Gazzas,
I'd think that shimming the wing panel at the join would yield a better result.
The wing root to wing interface has a couple of steps and interlocks on the inside face that you would nedd to consider.
Wouldn't it be easier to rescribe there (mid panel) instead of the wing root?

Good luck either way.
You're rocking it so far.

14 hours ago, Kais said:

Gazzas,
I'd think that shimming the wing panel at the join would yield a better result.
The wing root to wing interface has a couple of steps and interlocks on the inside face that you would nedd to consider.
Wouldn't it be easier to rescribe there (mid panel) instead of the wing root?

Good luck either way.
You're rocking it so far.

Thanks, Kais.  Actually...   you are correct.  When I went to shim them last night, I discovered the problems you mention.  One thing I want to avoid was to sand near the large screw heads inboard of both upper wings.  

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ovoeQ0nVZwg/U2DgA44T8jI/AAAAAAAAKsA/0DGmHHcWxSk/s1600/unnamed.png

So far, this is the only picture where I can actually see them.  Nobody takes a picture of this area on any plane. 

But they look more flush here.  Maybe I should replace them with flush screw heads made with a beading tool and a knife.

Opinions??

Thanks to a few words from Kais, and finding that my original plan wasn't going to work, I cemented the card fillets to the bulge sections:

P1014013.thumb.JPG.5f6a51d5b47bd2ed2b51d

Then I test fitted, pulled apart filed and sanded...   re-test-fitted...   pulled apart again...  until I finally got it to the point where I reckon I can call it good.

P1014010.thumb.JPG.641b3945cc95c57046411

P1014012.thumb.JPG.ca6c419d9764af3ac956f

It's quite a funky wing design.  The kit has some nice engineering features...  that are a PITA when it comes to getting stuff right.  YOu have to do everything in perfect order...  you  can't reverse the order of parts going together.

Anyway...  with that done, I considered cleaning up the parts...  filling behind the card with black CA and then sanding it all smooth and continuing with assembly...   but then I had a second thought...   I need to prepare for the WfGr 21 rocket tubes and mountings before I get the kit too far along!

I'm not one to seek perfection when I know it goes beyond my abilities and supplies.  Basically what I did was use some photos of an Eduard set, and use them to help me 'engineer' the parts I came up with.   So, I had to take pictures supplied by friends with the Eduard AM...  resize them to meet the parts I've found and do a little math to tell me where to drill.

P1014015.thumb.JPG.f0323116c4e48e7179fc8

The intersections of tape mark drilling points in the polished aluminum tube.

The mounting brackets of the rockets will be .5mm rod enclosed in .7mm tube.  This way I can space the parts to imitate detail.  Here, the tube and .5mm rod are held in situ by blutack.

P1014016.thumb.JPG.7470a5f77e0f630efe971

I'm not sure of the angles, but I'll fiddle with it some tomorrow.  I lightly sanded the tube to give the primer something to get hold of.  The prospect of trying to work around these tubes is daunting as there is little, fragile detail to add to the wing, yet...  and then there is all of that other assembly and weathering to complete.

P1014019.thumb.JPG.fa543bf68616bf4c970d9

Thanks for looking!

20 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I'm not one to seek perfection when I know it goes beyond my abilities and supplies. 

Me too Gary, things I plan don't always go as planned.

rOMmtcc.jpg?2

Hi everyone,

My modelling time is pretty much done for the weekend.  All of spent on these rocket tubes.  I have to wonder why they never used fin stabilized rail mounted missiles like everyone else.

The second tube was much harder than the first.    But once I had the brass rod mostly covered by brass tube, it got easier.

P1014021.thumb.JPG.1b78e122ab1a590f79abb

I used a lot of eyeball gestimation on angles.

After the second set was dry-fitted, I took a photo and used and editing program to check that they weren't noticeably divergent.

P1014023.thumb.JPG.6be7020ba15fc50547651

Obviously this isn't the best method as I'm not even sure that the camera was square to the work.

Later I used card to make the hooks on the wings.

P1014026.thumb.JPG.ebea4a19e9849b5236ccb

Here they are just waiting for wiring and the last few pieces of PE:

P1014024.thumb.JPG.69192ae5f79b880c9d464

The assemblies are quite heavy.  So heavy that I used a drill to bore out the center of each rocket.

P1014028.thumb.JPG.053ff42ac0221c80dd6d9

I also modified the outer parts of the rockets so that they could slide past where the points of the support rods pierce the tube sides...  that's why they look so rough.  But once I put the PE endcaps on, they won't be seen.  I had to make them so they could slide all the way through.

I would have taken more dry-fit photos.   But aligning everything is akin to coaxing a praying mantis into an envelope, I reckon.

Thanks for looking!