Kitty Hawk models is going out of business

Dave Roof

On 6/30/2021 at 9:02 PM, John1 said:

Update on this saga from Glen Coleman, a KH rep (not sure what his exact job is w KH), over on their FB page.   Glen has moved on to another, unnamed, company.   Said most folks will like their upcoming products.  48th scale for now, starting with jets, then helos, then prop subjects.  Said some of them would look good w a shark’s mouth.   

Said all the KH molds have been sold to another company so hopefully we’ll see some of their kits available down the road.  

That’s it, feel free to discuss!  

This is good news on two fronts: the 1/48 Dassault and SEPECAT jets being available again; and there soon also being new jet kits from the new company. 

Maybe we will get some of the missing Cold War jets done to 21stC standard tooling (e.g. Grumman Tiger, Buccaneer) or kits looking more like the real thing (e.g. LTV A-7 Corsair II series).

Anyway, I like 1/48 as much as 1/32 so this news is a ray of sunshine. Many thanks for posting. 

Tony

Just thought I'd update the news on my Kitty Hawk Mirage 2000D/N as I'm so impressed overall.

Bought for £40 less than the Western average price, I was told to expect it between 4th August and 10 September.

Ordered from China on 7th June, it was delivered 6th July.

Some very minor scrape damage on the bottom edge of the box from before it was put into its styrofoam coffin, and plastic wrapped to be totally weatherproof.

Very pleased with the service, and just off to find my ResKit nozzle set to do quick measure and comparison with the kit resin part.

19 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Moot point.  The fact that they did one, and nobody else did, means that by definition theirs is the best one.  It still sucks major rocks in many, many ways.  I boxed mine back up and put it on eBay the same day I got it.

To each his own.
I’ve built one when it was released and I’m on to my second. Of course YMMV.

Indeed.

I tried building the Koster/Monogram conversion in the last century. It took much, much more work (and modelling skills B)) than with the Kitty Hawk kit.
And in the end, even if you’ve finished it, you’re still left with the same inaccuracies which the internet experten blamed the KH kit for, namely the slanted intakes and the round vent on the starboard fuselage side.

I admit I was not aware of these inaccuracies when I did the Koster conversion but now that they’re widely known among the modelling circles, it’s surprising that nobody mentions them when they’re referring to the Koster. Did somebody says ‘bias’?:coolio:

The very badly designed camera ports and absence of sensors is annoying, but the RF-101C is one of my all-time favourites so I bought two Kitties and am overjoyed to have them.

I tried the Koster way back around 1987 and binned it. Ghastly experience. Somebody here in England, whose name I don't recall, did a resin conversion in the 1990s which was very good — I sold mine half done when I moved up to 1/32, convinced that Trumpeter would do the honours. Still waiting for them to finish the Century Series.

Back to 1/48 more these days: all that Soviet PVO, RAF and French Cold War gear we'll very unlikely ever to see in 1/32

Tony

The resin conversion (DB?) nose had a good shape but was also impractical, heavy and very difficult to attach to the Monogram F-101B fuselage.
The camera ports on the KH kit are not badly designed. They just lack detail - like the Koster and the other resin AM noses which were released afterwards.

On the LSP front, I’ve heard that KH was on the verge of releasing a 1/32 F-84F Thunderstreak just before its demise. Rumour or fact? Time will tell.B)

On 7/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, quang said:

The resin conversion (DB?) nose had a good shape but was also impractical, heavy and very difficult to attach to the Monogram F-101B fuselage.
The camera ports on the KH kit are not badly designed. They just lack detail - like the Koster and the other resin AM noses which were released afterwards.

On the LSP front, I’ve heard that KH was on the verge of releasing a 1/32 F-84F Thunderstreak just before its demise. Rumour or fact? Time will tell.B)

The KH Voodoo camera windows need to be separated into individual panes in order to be flush with the outside. Only the rear camera windows, aft of the cockpit, were inset to facilitate sliding doors. The Mickey Mouse ears pretending to be a film magazine in the side windows is awful. The DMold stuff adds the trigonal arrangement, which is nice. Yes, DB Quang, thanks. I fitted a front skin to the Monogram fuselage in anticipation of pinning and glueing the resin nose. But much happier with the KH offerings. Maybe whoever bought the moulds can add a few fixes like the dodgy ventral camera window part and inlet.

If the 1/32 Thunderflash moulds were cut I sincerely hope that's released! 

Tony

I wasn't going to get any more - until I saw an F-86D on Ebay and, well, like many other Kitty Hawk kits, it's the only game in town.

I do hope some of them do re-appear - and I'd love a Thunderstreak/Thunderflash, if they're not vapourware...

Iain