Kitty Hawk models is going out of business

Dave Roof

8 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

My humble opinion would be to avoid using the kit decals at all cost. They’re atrocious, so thick that they almost feel like vinyl film rather than decals. I tried a couple out on a test mule before shelling out on some Berna Decal later. 

Yeah, I’m thinking I wasn’t that impressed with them when I previously owned the 2000D kit. What were the Berna ones like? I’ve not used those before. Ive seen an FCM set which I think is Microscale printed but nowhere has it in stock so I’m likely going for Berna decals for both kits.

18 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Yeah, I’m thinking I wasn’t that impressed with them when I previously owned the 2000D kit. What were the Berna ones like? I’ve not used those before. Ive seen an FCM set which I think is Microscale printed but nowhere has it in stock so I’m likely going for Berna decals for both kits.

They’re 110% improvement on the kit offerings. Nicely coloured, and writing in register. They reacted well to my use of Microsol/set. I would say though, make sure you’re paint surface nice and smooth. Mine was a tad rough in places so I had slivering trouble upon flat coating. That was of my own doing though. 

Just now, Stokey Pete said:

They’re 110% improvement on the kit offerings. Nicely coloured, and writing in register. They reacted well to my use of Microsol/set. I would say though, make sure you’re paint surface nice and smooth. Mine was a tad rough in places so I had slivering trouble upon flat coating. That was of my own doing though. 

Thanks Pete. I’ll probably go for Bernadecals. Need to order a reference book first. What I know about the Mirage could be written on a Post-It.

1 minute ago, Dave Williams said:

Unfortunately, decals for the two seater Mirage 2000s are pretty limited right now.  Berna has one sheet for 2000Ns, and there is one N and one D option on a FCM sheet.  Berna has a couple of D sheets in the works, but they aren’t out yet.

Yeah. I quite like the idea of a Greek Air Force jet for the 2000C but I’m not in to special schemes, I’d just like to do a line jet. Not having much luck finding one though. I found FFSMC Productions decals on eBay. They offer a few, mainly 2000C schemes but no Greek but the other Foreign users are covered. Their print quality is an unknown to me though. Syhart don’t seem to do 1/32 stuff. We shall see what emerges. My kits are at least a month away from landing here and they wont go to the top of the build pile just yet anyway. I’d just like to pick schemes so I can get the correct Quinta sets for each kit. Quinta also do a Mirage 2000B set I see, can a B be built from the 2000D kit? First outlay after the kits though will be a Mirage reference book, either the Duke Hawkins one or the SAM Productions modellers datafile. I don’t know which would be the better choice.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

Procal did a sheet for single seat and two seat Greek aircraft, and you can produce a B from the D/N, with the assistance of the Quinta B set, the Under the Skin book is a must have.

They only seem to have the special tail one listed at the moment. I’ll keep looking for other sellers. 

Ok I’ve had a better look and it would seem that the Procal special tail sheet comes with the same generic markings decals as the set you showed. So this is now a possibility. Good stuff.

Edited by ade rowlands

Looking at Berna decals on Hannants' website, the lack of registration on this sheet they use to sell the decals makes me a bit anxious regarding the quality...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BER32067?result-token=4aPPO

I bought a set of Procal decals for Greek F-16s, and the amount of carrier film around the designs is unbelievable.  HAve no idea how they will behave, but will definitely try with a decal I don't plan to use beforehand.

Edited by jenshb

Just now, jenshb said:

Looking at Berna decals on Hannants' website, the lack of registration on this sheet they use to sell the decals makes me a bit anxious regarding the quality...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BER32067?result-token=4aPPO

The lack of some profile shots to show what you are getting doesn’t help either. I go to https://www.aero-spezial-modellbauversand.de The owner tends to scan a lot of instruction sheets in giving you a better idea.

1 hour ago, blackbetty said:

i ordered the berna sheet with the greek colourful tail and the "under the skin" book

this begins to be expensive (sigh.....again)

Tell me about it. I just ordered the PROcal decal set and the Under The Skin Book. Might have to sell my ZM F-4C to offset the costs!

2 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Yeah. I quite like the idea of a Greek Air Force jet for the 2000C but I’m not in to special schemes, I’d just like to do a line jet. Not having much luck finding one though. I found FFSMC Productions decals on eBay. They offer a few, mainly 2000C schemes but no Greek but the other Foreign users are covered. Their print quality is an unknown to me though. Syhart don’t seem to do 1/32 stuff. We shall see what emerges. My kits are at least a month away from landing here and they wont go to the top of the build pile just yet anyway. I’d just like to pick schemes so I can get the correct Quinta sets for each kit. Quinta also do a Mirage 2000B set I see, can a B be built from the 2000D kit? First outlay after the kits though will be a Mirage reference book, either the Duke Hawkins one or the SAM Productions modellers datafile. I don’t know which would be the better choice.

The instrument panels in the kit are much closer to a B than they are to either a D or a N.

What are the FFSMC decals like?  Screen printed, ALPS or laser? I see a 2000-5 that I like on one of the sheets.  The Berna Decals look translucent and does seem to be risk getting a sheet out of register...

I have both the Duke Hawkins book as well as the Eagle Aviation book, and the latter has more of very intimate shots of all sorts of open panels, whereas the Duke Hawkins book has more shots of a variety of aircraft as well as excellent detail shots of the areas we tend to detail - cockpit, wheel wells, general airframe details, and engine.  The DH book also covers more variants, whereas Eagle Aviation focusses on Greek aircraft.  Unless you plan to open a lot of panels and scratchbuild electronics, I'd say the Duke Hawkins book will be more than sufficient.

Edited by jenshb