Kitty Hawk models is going out of business

Dave Roof

Without KH I would never have two NA Harvard Mk IIs included in my collection, so for that alone I thank them. Like their other kits they were far from perfect in both fit and detail but they provided me with the opportunity to make and improve them, and I loved doing them both. I’m so tempted to buy another just in case I ever get around to making/converting a Mk I. Once they’re gone, they’re gone but Hannants have stock at the moment. Hmmmm. :hmmm:

Built the Bronco and enjoyed it, have the Mirage 2000 and will enjoy building it, want to get a Seahawk and a Little bird.

No other 'dealer' gave us these models and for that they have my thanks.

Feel for those involved in the company who put so much effort into achieving their (and our) dreams, hope all turns out well for you.

I built the P-39.  Once I'd applied a bit of research into what bits went on which variant, and worked out the odd mismatch between the instructions and parts, I rather enjoyed it.  Might have to get me a T-6 while I can ...

I'm really wondering what is going on in Asia with regard to LSP production? Not so long ago we were buried under tons of releases coming from Japan, Korea, China and HK. But now...? Hopefully Eastern Europe is actively filling the gap but for how long... <_<

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

I built the P-39.  Once I'd applied a bit of research into what bits went on which variant, and worked out the odd mismatch between the instructions and parts, I rather enjoyed it.  Might have to get me a T-6 while I can ...

Even if I haven’t finished the build of my Airacobra, I never found a reason to call it ‘crap’.
It’s like a rollercoaster ride, bumpy and eventful but never a dull moment! :beer4:

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm really wondering what is going on in Asia with regard to LSP production? Not so long ago we were buried under tons of releases coming from Japan, Korean, China and HK. But now...? Hopefully Eastern Europe is actively filling the gap but for how long... <_<

Well...speaking as a model designer who worked with model companies from Asia, model manufacturers are constantly baffled by the fact that no matter what they do, it is "wrong" and "not the stuff we wanted". Other types of models in any other scales are met with pleasure and sometimes even joy. New models in scale 1/32 are constantly attacked. I do not know what it is that makes people (who are supposedly "into LSP") complain so much about new releases, but that kind of feedback filters back to the boardroom. There comes a point where a manufacturer decides that it is no longer worth their time, effort and expense. The first to abandon 1/32 were Trumpeter, who continue to be just as prolific in other scales and types of models. I know of one other manufacturer that decided to stop doing 1/32 and I was told by the boss of the company that the reason was the constant "bad feedback" about new releases. I was told that in 2019 and so far it seems that he was not exaggerating.

We need to support manufacturers. You don't like what they do? Fine! Keep that to yourself, no one cares. 

Radu

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm really wondering what is going on in Asia with regard to LSP production? Not so long ago we were buried under tons of releases coming from Japan, Korean, China and HK. But now...? Hopefully Eastern Europe is actively filling the gap but for how long... <_<

Thierry, if you are asking where all the new releases are, I can answer to that with my theory. As I am in the business, I have to add my personal observation. As a older adult male hobbyist, I love the 1/32 kits and pine for more releases, but as a seller of these products, nobody is buying them. The ratio of sales from 1/48 to 1/32 is probably 20 to 1. The amount of 1/32 kits I sell is microscopic, yet the investment to carry them is monumental. By the nature of the beast, they are more detailed, and more expensive. Manufacturers are starting to realize that 1/48 is where the cash is. Tamiya is a good example, they release most of their kits in 1/48 and sell the best. 1/32 is harder to justify as the Tamiya mosquito was almost considered a failure, while it is beautiful kit, it did not sell well. 

This may possibly be what did KH in, they released a large portion of their kits in 1/32 and it may have led to poor market sales. In my own experience, the average sale in my store is about $70, which is below what many 1/32 kits sell for. I personally wished KH had not gone out of business, as they have a few kits that I love. The kingfisher is the very kit that made me convert to 1/32 from 1/72. It saddens me to se them go, I know some people were very anti-Kitty Hawk, but I loved them. 

9 hours ago, Neo said:

this is kinda sad, really like their approach to making kits that we really wanted. The F-101 to replace the revell kit the cougar the f-35 ,T-28. 

My biggest deception was when the decided to make their Huey 1/48, in 1/35 that would have sold like hotcakes! 

Just looked at luckymodels they have only 2 kits listed left, all others are gone. i know they had the new blackhawks not too long ago

Time to get stocked up 

• 1/48 F-101B
  • 1/32 Saber dog
  • 1/32 Bronco

Get these asap, they are out of stock at the distributors. I placed an order last night, and they were down to 3 voodoo, and the others were sold out. I still have one Saber in my shop for sale. 

6 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Get these asap, they are out of stock at the distributors. I placed an order last night, and they were down to 3 voodoo, and the others were sold out. I still have one Saber in my shop for sale. 

Maybe a obvious question but whats your shop? 

Thanks for the comments!

I'm also wondering if there is not a kind of behavioral bias. People are less complaining when a 50 dollars kit is challenging than when it is a 150 dollars one. I observed that very often whereas the price is just one factor amongst others. The size and complexity being other major dimensions. So, the price is not only linked to the quality itself but the size and complexity. For some weird reason I do not observe the same level of bias in most areas. Typically, people will understand that a Russian brand truck may be more expensive than a German brand car even if the quality is not on par. This is often different for models where I'm seeing people moaning because of the cost itself. Last, there is also a cultural bareer as well as communication of western SME with Asian companies has typically been a hit and miss process in many cases. KH was actually better at that level than many similar companies. Too Bad.

18 minutes ago, Radub said:

Well...speaking as a model designer who worked with model companies from Asia, model manufacturers are constantly baffled by the fact that no matter what they do, it is "wrong" and "not the stuff we wanted". Other types of models in any other scales are met with pleasure and sometimes even joy. New models in scale 1/32 are constantly attacked. I do not know what it is that makes people (who are supposedly "into LSP") complain so much about new releases, but that kind of feedback filters back to the boardroom. There comes a point where a manufacturer decides that it is no longer worth their time, effort and expense. The first to abandon 1/32 were Trumpeter, who continue to be just as prolific in other scales and types of models. I know of one other manufacturer that decided to stop doing 1/32 and I was told by the boss of the company that the reason was the constant "bad feedback" about new releases. I was told that in 2019 and so far it seems that he was not exaggerating.

We need to support manufacturers. You don't like what they do? Fine! Keep that to yourself, no one cares. 

Radu

I firmly believe that some of these manufacturers are actually the one's to blame. In several instances, many modelers have pointed out issues with CAD and provided input only to be ignored. Several years ago a Rep from Trumpeter reached out to me regarding the AV-8B. I spent hours and a few weekends taking hundreds of photos, measurements and notes. After all was said and done, I was told 'never mind, we're just going with what we have'. Seriously? All that work and time spent and you just blow it off? Hell, one of the members of the R&D team that helped with the Kittyhawk H-60 kits just mentioned a similar experience. They provided input that was ignored at the end. 

It's happened over and over. The forums are filled with SME's that have either worked on, flew or studied ad nauseum countless aircraft. Collectively we have provided almost everything a model manufacturer could possibly need to produce an accurate representation of most aircraft. However, the vast majority of the time we were ignored. Is it any wonder they received bad feedback? 

You know, while not LSP related, Kinetic actually listens to modelers and takes our feedback to heart. Their postponed Gina is a perfect example, as well as their continual improvement from release to release. Maybe other manufacturers should follow Raymond's lead and actually listen to those that know the subjects. 

Kittyhawk had multiple opportunities to improve, but never really did. Yes, some of their later kits are nice, but still have issues. They were plagued with accuracy and quality issues, multiple issues with instruction sheets, and the perception among many is that they just didn't give a f--k. 

While I'm still far from perfect, I have come a long way over the years and it was due to 'bad feedback'. I never gave up, but worked harder to improve and listened to those that provided harsh criticism. Still do and they're the reason I still have a relatively successful small business going on year 21. 

If manufacturers want our support, listen to those of us that are trying to help instead of blowing us off.

14 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I firmly believe that some of these manufacturers are actually the one's to blame. 

(Snip)

If manufacturers want our support, listen to those of us that are trying to help instead of blowing us off.

I completely agree. I also have stories of good advice ignored by manufacturers. 

I also completely agree that when manufacturers get it wrong they should hear about it.

But the "I wanted precisely anything else" automatic response to every new release is on us. 

Radu