Trumpeter F4U-4 Corsair - FINISHED

denders

Not bad, Woody. I used a knife and straight edge to cut close the outer boundaries, within reason. I didn't try to cut out all of the decal film and make it hard to deal with them. The side of the fuselage, from squadron emblem, the star and bar, and the 'Navy' were placed all in one shot. There are a few places that I'd like if they had settled into the detail a little better and perhaps that would be the case if I'd been a little more insistent with the SOL. There is a place on the left side of the fin and rudder where I cut through the printed area. Perhaps the knife wasn't sharp enough or the printing is a bit thick. Should have gotten out a new blade, it's a bit ragged. If I let the light shine across the decal, I can still see a little bit of the edge of the film, but I don't think it's objectionable. There is a coat of Tamiya Clear Gloss on top. I was contemplating another layer of gloss. Also contemplating whether a layer of satin finish might make the edge disappear or enhance it.

I had started out looking to have more color by going toward a Korean War aircraft, but forgetting that everything was blue, including the gear wells, struts, etc. Inside the cockpit is still green and atm I'm not sure that's correct, but I realized it too late. With all the markings, it's still pretty colorful.

1 hour ago, denders said:

Also contemplating whether a layer of satin finish might make the edge disappear or enhance it.

That's the ticket!

You see the edge because, with a gloss coat, the light hitting the edge of the film is what you see. With a satin or flat clear the light is diffused obscuring the edge. I can't recall what paint you're using but if it's lacquer you can spray a wet coat of Leveling Thinner over the decal to dissolve the clear film. 

Build look nice, BTW. 

2 hours ago, Woody V said:

That's the ticket!

You see the edge because, with a gloss coat, the light hitting the edge of the film is what you see. With a satin or flat clear the light is diffused obscuring the edge. I can't recall what paint you're using but if it's lacquer you can spray a wet coat of Leveling Thinner over the decal to dissolve the clear film. 

Build look nice, BTW. 

Well, it has a coat of Tamiya gloss on it, so I don't think the Leveling Thinner will have any affect, but I'll keep that in mind. I've kinda fallen in love with MRP Paints because they're already thinned to airbrush viscosity and I can just pour it into the airbrush and when I'm done, pour it back in the bottle.

Anyone know if I can put a coat of MRP satin clear over the Tamiya gloss? I have Tamiya flat base, so I imagine that I could mix a wee bit of that into some gloss to make satin.

Edited by denders

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it isn't perfect, but I'm going to call this one done. I'll take some other photos for an RFI in a bit when I set up to do "Claude" too. (It's almost there too.)

ROGXAH.jpg

Mz4FpP.jpg

OHTsk4.jpg

aQCSEB.jpg

fOUHTF.jpg

For a guy who says the Corsair is his favorite, this is the only one on the shelf. There used to be a 1/48 -1D but it wasn't very good and It didn't make the trip when we moved. There is at least one 1/48 kit in the stash for each version of the Corsair. I think the only one missing is an F2G-1.

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Looks just fine Dave , have you got the old Monogram ?

Those were cool back in the day.

No, I don't think so. I recall having the Old Revell kit when I was a kid or at least I think it was the Revell kit. I have at least 3 of those in the stash. :D And various resin addons for them. One of these days.

• denders changed the title to Trumpeter F4U-4 Corsair - FINISHED