Trumpeter F4U-4 Corsair - FINISHED

denders

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Okay, cockpit done. The Quinta stuff wasn't hard to deal with and it looks pretty good. The only complaint might be that the small levers are harder to place than PE because they're flexible. The seat belts are from the Quinta set. There are some small PE items from an Eduard set.

zvFmHb.jpgKLxtZb.jpg

boTzXC.jpg

Now a question for those who have built this kit. I'm looking for other folks ideas.

c4AaWH.jpg

How did you form the ends as shown in the instructions? I was thinking, I have a flat faced pair of pliers and was going to assemble the pieces and just try smashing the  ends of the brass wire. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, denders said:

Now a question for those who have built this kit. I'm looking for other folks ideas.

c4AaWH.jpg

How did you form the ends as shown in the instructions? I was thinking, I have a flat faced pair of pliers and was going to assemble the pieces and just try smashing the  ends of the brass wire. 

Thanks!

I used to do this with real time rivets on old safes.  Key is to keep one end of the brass rod perpendicular to a very hard (preferably metal) surface. Then use a toy hamer to (gently) tap the other end.  If needed turn around and repeat.

7 minutes ago, denders said:

c4AaWH.jpg

Thanks!

I remember this being the absolute worst part of the kit when I built mine (admittedly it was the F4U-1 kit), and left me wishing I'd just glued the damn things in place and tossed the hinges away. I don't remember how I actually got them together, though! I know I didn't make them moveable, so probably just CA'd the lot together.

Kev

:BANGHEAD2::fight: So, the kit instructions say 0.8mm brass rod. Doing a conversion to inches, that's 0.0315". Taking a caliper to the material included, I get 0.035". It's a very snug fit. Once it's in there, being such a small piece, I don't think it's going to come out. And oh yeah, it looks like it's copper wire, not brass but that doesn't really matter. So, now the mind debate about what I'm going to do about it. I do have drills that I could use to drill it out, but I'm not sure I want to attempt drilling out the PE parts. Hmmmm. :hmmm::blowup:

Well, I tried drilling out the PE pieces and because I’m actually removing very little material, working carefully, it has gone ok, so far. 

I tried just squishing with pliers and that just bent the “rod” in the middle. It’s not coming apart, I don’t think. I’ll try the next one with a hammer as suggested by LH next. I suspect the I’ll end up just gluing them like Kev. 

Edited by denders

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. Various assemblies, now need to do some filling and sanding. Don't like those wire hinge pins for the flaps. I have a -1D kit too which I assume uses the same sort of thing. I'll have to find something else to use for those pins.

yxCkkg.jpg

We were at the beach a couple weeks ago. Got to watch occasional passersby. Ospreys and Cobras too.

hAVHiP.jpg