Collective thoughts on the Trumpeter Swordfish

europapete

Hi all, any chance of passing on everyone's thoughts about this kit? Particularly accuracy/shape wise as Trumpeter can be a little iffy in this department. Not too bothered about the surface details as I will probably sand smooth and make my own. Regards, Pete in RI

5 hours ago, Archimedes said:

I can add a vote of confidence to the previous ones and add this: if you want to do a floatplane version of the Swordfish; the HpH Letov S-238 floats serve as a passable representation of those designed by Fairey. 

Best regards

Paul

The Trumpeter Swordfish is a nice kit. I've built 3 (and 4 Tamiya and 1 MDC).  I built one of the Trumpeter kits as a floatplane:

8c1b9914-e0fe-41b5-b560-57ac37a17a1f.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004217-132-swordfish-floatplane-k8395-813-sqn-hms-eagle/

1 hour ago, iang said:

The Trumpeter Swordfish is a nice kit. I've built 3 (and 4 Tamiya and 1 MDC).  I built one of the Trumpeter kits as a floatplane:

8c1b9914-e0fe-41b5-b560-57ac37a17a1f.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004217-132-swordfish-floatplane-k8395-813-sqn-hms-eagle/

Hi Ian

that is an impressive looking build of an imposing aircraft. Are those the HpH Letov floats you used?

Best regards

Paul

That's a great build Ian, thank you for sharing. Did you contact HpH directly for the floats? or are they available separately. Any chance of restoring the photos of how you did the RB wires? the photos in the article have timed out. Regards, Pete

18 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

It is likely their best kit but is also a blatant copy of the Tamiya 1/48 offering in it's parts break down.

Except one us in 48th and one 32nd and as has been very clearly learned simply blowing something up to a larger scale is a far more complex undertaking than just copying.

All panel lines, raised detail etc will be far far overscale and look horrendous if simply copied.

Besides that a cursory glance at both the kits gives immediate huge differences in the look of the two kits.

About the only similarity is they both look like Fairy Swordfish.

Different fuselage designs, completely different style wings with completely different canvas effects.

Not only are they not copies a quick look side by side shows they are not even distant cousins.

I have even after sitting them side by side for under 2 minutes no idea how anyone could think one is a copy of the other.

7 hours ago, europapete said:

That's a great build Ian, thank you for sharing. Did you contact HpH directly for the floats? or are they available separately. Any chance of restoring the photos of how you did the RB wires? the photos in the article have timed out. Regards, Pete

I bought the Letov floats directly from HpH at Telford a couple of years before I built the kit (in 2016). It's taken a while to find the WiP photos:

Scratch float struts:

resized_5db625d9-4c6f-40b3-b09c-8fe6bb8d

Modified HpH floats:

9cb48104-cd7e-4fb0-ad0d-b35c9ba8a9a1.JPG

Floats attached:

resized_59e19603-09be-40ea-9ed2-37f0f88a

Flat RB bracing wires:

resized_5dc5b02a-8d9d-4dca-91af-e0ac9128

The finish article:

1c470cd0-55af-408c-b5b9-768c663e8f68.JPG

Edited by iang