N1K2-J Shiden Kai (George) - 1/32 Hasegawa

ChuckD

This is the 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai (George) - a very late war Japanese aircraft that was capable of giving aircraft like the Hellcat and Corsair a real fun for their money, albeit too little too late.  I had originally thought to make this a late entry into the Air Superiority group build, but forgot to take pics during the process and soon ended up with a half-built kit.  So, I binned that idea and decided to just try to get it done by the GB finish date - today!

After the 5 month slog through my RFM Panzer IV J, I just wanted something quick and easy that looked good. Having done a few 1/32 Hasegawa kits in the past, I figured this would fit the bill and I wasn't wrong. Fit was great, out of the box detail is excellent, and it ended up being a great kit. I started it around May 5th and was able to put the finishing touches on it today. Done up with Tamiya and Alclad paints with AK washes, oils, some silver pencil. Really happy with how the chipping turned out. I tried this dramatic chipping on a Ki-84 a couple years ago and it turned out like crap so I gave it to my kid to play with. I was worried it would happen here too, but it ended up turning out really well with Vallejo chipping medium. All major markings were painted on with custom-cut masks.

eDKzlXr.jpg

EY4xOoR.jpg
gT7fPe0.jpg
6dA7ITj.jpg
PULuXhC.jpg
fwHw4Tn.jpg
1JUbTGT.jpg
DiHKtka.jpg
v6vEr7P.jpg
FsdW99R.jpg
hwNuM15.jpg
JEg85HJ.jpg