Tamiya F-4C Questions

John1

43 minutes ago, aircommando130 said:

I have 2 sets of the resin replacement canopy's..."awesome"!!!!!!

I have several sets of aftermarket resin wheels for the F-4 as well.

Cheers....Ron

Thanks for the reminder on the canopies. I just ordered 2 sets ( I have the C/D and a J kit as well). 

Just opened up the kit and took a quick look.   That one piece fuselage looks very nice (and very big)!  What's the consensus on the kit's weapons (TER/MER and Mk 82's to be specific)?    Are they considered pretty decent or should I be looking at Eduard for (pricey) replacements?

Question on the GT Resin seamless intakes.  The ones for the F-4C/D are out of stock on Sprue Brothers.    Any idea if GT does restocks or once they are gone, they are gone?   That being said, intakes for the F-4J are in stock.    Would these work with the F-4C/D kit?   Didn't think the J's intake was any different.

I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I started down this road.    I can see now that I'm going to be spending a boatload on aftermarket.  I guess my M.O. is going to be to slowly acquire stuff to keep costs in check and hope nothing critical goes out of stock permanently.   

So I think (this is subject to change based on more research and reviews, feedback, etc) I'm looking at the following for this kit:

• Mk 5 seats - AMS (email going out to Harold shortly)
  • Seamless intakes - GT Resin
  • Canopy - Need to do more research, not sure if the resin one corrects shape issues or just makes it easier to assemble vrs the kit bits.
  • QRC-160 Pod - GT Resin w/ modifications
  • Centerline tank - GT Resin (unless someone has one cheaper)
  • Burner cans - GT Resin (can't find the Wolf Pack ones online)
  • Decals - Fundekals Op Bolo
  • Cockpit - GT Resin (not definite yet, need to see if there are other options available)
  • AIM-9B - Eduard Resin 
  • Instrument Panels - no idea yet
  • TER's / Bombs (not definite yet, correct me if I'm wrong but could early F-4's mount AIM-9's when they were fitted with TER's?)
  • Tires - anyone make replacement tires?

I'm sorry to keep hitting you guys with all these questions.   I'm still googling and reading up on this stuff so I will probably be able to answer some of these on my own.   That being said, any info is most gratefully appreciated. 

John

John:

Welcome to the Tamiya F-4 moneypit...

GT Resins does do occasional restocks with Sprue Bros. Keep checking or leave an advisory note for restocking. I would also suggest that you look at Reskit stuff. They have a set of 1/32nd scale F-4C/D burner cans. I can't speak to the quality of them yet (mine still enroute), but the photos look very good and the quality of other items is superb.

HTH

Mark Proulx

29 minutes ago, Mark P said:

John:

Welcome to the Tamiya F-4 moneypit...

GT Resins does do occasional restocks with Sprue Bros. Keep checking or leave an advisory note for restocking. I would also suggest that you look at Reskit stuff. They have a set of 1/32nd scale F-4C/D burner cans. I can't speak to the quality of them yet (mine still enroute), but the photos look very good and the quality of other items is superb.

HTH

Mark Proulx

Thanks Mark, my head's spinning from all the stuff I think I'll need!   I thought my last build (Tamiya 32nd Mosquito) used a lot of AM stuff but that kit was the essence of simplicity compared to the Phantom.   Once you get them, please let us know what you think of the Reskit burner cans.  

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Question on the GT Resin seamless intakes.  The ones for the F-4C/D are out of stock on Sprue Brothers.    Any idea if GT does restocks or once they are gone, they are gone?   That being said, intakes for the F-4J are in stock.    Would these work with the F-4C/D kit?   Didn't think the J's intake was any different.

I honestly had no idea what I was getting into when I started down this road.    I can see now that I'm going to be spending a boatload on aftermarket.  I guess my M.O. is going to be to slowly acquire stuff to keep costs in check and hope nothing critical goes out of stock permanently.   

So I think (this is subject to change based on more research and reviews, feedback, etc) I'm looking at the following for this kit:

• Canopy - Need to do more research, not sure if the resin one corrects shape issues or just makes it easier to assemble vrs the kit bits.
  • Cockpit - GT Resin (not definite yet, need to see if there are other options available)
  • AIM-9B - Eduard Resin 
  • TER's / Bombs (not definite yet, correct me if I'm wrong but could early F-4's mount AIM-9's when they were fitted with TER's?)

I'm sorry to keep hitting you guys with all these questions.   I'm still googling and reading up on this stuff so I will probably be able to answer some of these on my own.   That being said, any info is most gratefully appreciated. 

John

In answer to some of your questions, early USAF F-4s couldn’t carry bombs on a TER and Sidewinders at the same time.  They didn’t have the extenders that pushed the launcher rails farther away from the side to the pylons at that time.  The USN F-4s could because they had a short adapter attached to the underside of the inboard pylons that made the TER sit lower and allow the mounted stores to not interfere with the Sidewinder fins.

Tires- I’m pretty sure Eduard make resin wheels for the USAF phantoms.

Instrument panels - Quinta Studios has announced an upcoming set for the F-4C.  It’s the last part I need for my Bolo build.

Are you doing one of the Bolo birds with the Navy style inboard pylons?  If so, you’ll need those too.

2 hours ago, John1 said:

• AIM-9B - Eduard Resin 

John

I have both GT resin intakes (C/D and J). The only difference I can see is the turbine face.

1st time I opened the package for the J intakes. Unfortunately one of the splitter plates is damaged. Doesn't look repairable, but I guess can try.

Edited by Ayovan

Just now, Jennings Heilig said:

If you're doing a Bolo airplane as it appeared during Bolo, ditch the bombs.  They were configured for air-to-air only for those missions.  AIM-7Es and AIM-9Bs plus the QRC-160 and fuel bags was it.

I'm on the fence Jennings.  That "Pardo's Push" jet with the TER's of 750 lb bombs was pretty enticing as well.  

• 1 month later...

Ordered the Fundekals Operation Bolo set, GT Resin exhausts and a few other aftermarket sets.   I'll be starting this kit in the near future.    This might be one of the most involved build I've ever done, between all the work needed on the kit, the crazy SEA paint scheme as shown in the awesome Fundekals instructions and adding some aftermarket items.    

A few questions -

Is there anyway to model the wings in the folded position?   Doesn't appear so from the kit instructions but I'd really like to go this route, if nothing else, to save on shelf space.    If this isn't possible, how do you correct the inaccurate angle of the outer wings (how the heck did T miss this?)?

Any suggestions for the easiest approach to sanding off all those horrible BDR patches that cover the fuselage?

Any other tips or hints?

Thanks guys. 

Thanks guys.   That's too bad about the wing fold, I really was looking forward to doing that.  Question on the real thing - any idea if the early F-4C's had the walkways on the upper fuselage and wing roots painted with non-slip paint?