WNW Sopwith Pup

Greif8

I finished a month long project that consisted of WNW's Sopwith Pup, a figure and a base today.  The Pup is pretty much straight oob, I only added spark plug wires, controls lines in the cockpit and cockpit bracing wire - and an HGW seatbelt.  I decided to build a replica of a Pup that had been sent to Training Command as I thought the black and white striped finish looked pretty nice.  I weathered this build fairly heavily as I wanted to show a well used aircraft that was worn without being worn out.  So there is a fair amount of castor oil and dirt staining as well as some faded and chipped paintwork.  I opted to show the prop in a "like new" condition as I tried my hand at replicating a wooden prop and thought it looked better in "new" condition.  I imagine that training units went through a fair amount of props and the clean look provides a nice contrast to the rest on the build, IMHO at least.  I used the same technique to simulate wood on the rest of the natural wood surfaces.  First up are s few "in progress" shot of the cockpit and engine as you can't really see much in the photos of the completed build.

IMG_3621

IMG_3623

IMG_3613

IMG_3618

IMG_3616

A few overall shots.

IMG_3626

IMG_3627

IMG_3632

IMG_3631

IMG_3648

I few mid-distance and close up photos.

IMG_3634

IMG_3659

IMG_3653

IMG_3652

IMG_3654

IMG_3645

IMG_3638

IMG_3640

IMG_3641

IMG_3666

IMG_3650

IMG_3649

The pilot looks quite pleased with himself; perhaps he just soloed on this aircraft!

Edited by Greif8

Awesome!

Both the Pup and the pilot are very well done. Is the figure supposed to be of Albert Ball? He’s the first person who came to mind when I saw the figure. 

We’ve certainly lost something special with WnWs closure haven’t we?

Cheers,

Wolf

4 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Awesome!

Both the Pup and the pilot are very well done. Is the figure supposed to be of Albert Ball? He’s the first person who came to mind when I saw the figure. 

We’ve certainly lost something special with WnWs closure haven’t we?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you for the kind words Wolf!  I have had the figure so long that I have forgotten who the pilot is that it represents, of even it if is supposed to be an actual pilot.  Heck, I can't even remember who makes the figure - a bit embarrassing that.   He does look a bit like Ball, though perhaps a few years older. 

It is too bad WNW is gone.  I did not start buying any of their kits until very late in the company's existence and missed out on some releases.  Maybe someday someone will be able to buy the molds and re-pop the kits.

Sincerely,

Ernest  

Very nice little vignette.  The model is outstanding.  I like the stripes, they are hard to paint and you pulled it off with excellent results.  The figure is well presented as well.

That's really nice.  :goodjob:  As you can see in WIP, I'm doing one of these too.  Did you use the kit decals for the fuselage striping?

One small point of organisation/background if I may: there was no such thing as "Training Command" then: the aircraft was with the School of Special Flying, where Major Robert Smith-Barry developed the system of flying training that's in almost world-wide use to this day.  I believe the aircraft was used mainly by instructors to keep their skills current.  They were teaching their pupils how to recognise and  get out of trouble (such as spins) and in many cases had to explore these things and develop the techniques themselves.

10 hours ago, PrzemoL said:

Striking scheme, a lovely Puppy.

7 hours ago, mgunns said:

Very nice little vignette.  The model is outstanding.  I like the stripes, they are hard to paint and you pulled it off with excellent results.  The figure is well presented as well.

7 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Beautiful build of one of my all-time favorite schemes. Bravo!

Cheers,

Damian

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very nice!

Thank you all for the kind compliments!

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

That's really nice.  :goodjob:  As you can see in WIP, I'm doing one of these too.  Did you use the kit decals for the fuselage striping?

One small point of organisation/background if I may: there was no such thing as "Training Command" then: the aircraft was with the School of Special Flying, where Major Robert Smith-Barry developed the system of flying training that's in almost world-wide use to this day.  I believe the aircraft was used mainly by instructors to keep their skills current.  They were teaching their pupils how to recognise and  get out of trouble (such as spins) and in many cases had to explore these things and develop the techniques themselves.

Hi Mike, thank you for the compliment!  I will take a look at your build in the WIP section.  The stripes on the fuselage are indeed the decals.  It took a bit of trial and error to get the right black tone on the wing and tail plane stripes - though I still was not able to match that perfectly with the fuselage.

Thank you as well for the information.  I am mostly a WWII guy, and don't really know much about the higher level air organizations of any of the combatant nations in WWI. 

Ernest

Ernest, I love it! This and each of your builds tells such a simple but effective story with the build, display, and figures which actually enhance the build. This last is especially difficult to pull off but is a great skill to have. Well done!

Cheers,  Tom

50 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Ernest, I love it! This and each of your builds tells such a simple but effective story with the build, display, and figures which actually enhance the build. This last is especially difficult to pull off but is a great skill to have. Well done!

Cheers,  Tom

Thank you Tom! This build turned out fairly well.  To be honest I am not totally satisfied with the work on the figure, it is about a C to C-.  Both the smoothness and color tone of the face could have been better. 

Ernest