Squadron Back

Ryan

My friend John and I visited the new Squadron office/warehouse yesterday (they're only 30 minutes away from my house). It is obviously not my place to divulge what I learned during our conversation with Chris, but I can assure you he is working really hard on making the 'new' Squadron a really great shopping experience for modelers. 

There are still quite a few 'behind the scenes' issues that need to be addressed and he is still building stock. Plans to move into a larger warehouse this fall are also in work. If you'd like to support him now, you can purchase from their current stock via Amazon from seller Knotmodels until there new web site goes live. 

Reading many of the comments and concerns throughout the interwebs over the past several days, I am confidant based on our talk that Chris will rebuild the Squadron name.

I just went to Squadron.com and a big banner says "Now Reopen".  Site looks a lot like the old one and I was even able to login to my old account. 

Here's hoping things will go well.

One thing about the site, not very many filtering options.  While I can look for specific models or manufactures by site search, I can't seem to find a way to filter the results down by scale or type like I used to on the old site.  Hopefully they will be adding that feature in the near future.

Edited by Mark B.
More Info

3 hours ago, Mark B. said:

I just went to Squadron.com and a big banner says "Now Reopen".  Site looks a lot like the old one and I was even able to login to my old account. 

Here's hoping things will go well.

One thing about the site, not very many filtering options.  While I can look for specific models or manufactures by site search, I can't seem to find a way to filter the results down by scale or type like I used to on the old site.  Hopefully they will be adding that feature in the near future.

Yep, the last few years they were in business, their search engine was pretty horrible (and frustrating). I find that I tend to gravitate to the sites that make things easy to find, as well as have great prices, and those sites (naturally) most frequently get my cash.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Was hoping they were going to do better on the pricing, but it seems like the old Squadron prices.  $4 savings on a $95 Meng Sherman that’s $60 at Scalehobbyist, such a deal!

I don't know Dave, their prices on a lot of things seemed good.  I did finally pick up the 1/35 Tamiya Hanomag Sd.Kfz.251/1 to go on the shelf next to the US M3.  It has been out of stock at most places and was still priced at 14.99 US.  

And from what I saw a lot of their 1/350 stuff was very competitively priced.

Ought to be interesting to see how they do in the future.  

If they want my money, the two best things to do are to make it very easy to find what I'm looking for (search filters) and price competitively.  I'll give Squadron v2.0 a fair go, but a few minutes on the site today didn't look promising in either of the two above categories.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:55 PM, Rick Griewski said:

Their new relevance will have include competitive pricing.  I buy all my ICM kits directly from Ukraine via EBay.  Many times just 2 weeks after the kit is released.

I’ve had a lot of luck buying straight from manufacturers or resellers in Ukraine, Poland, and the Czech Republic recently.  Good prices, quick shipping.  For that matter I’ve bought Zvezda kits from people in Moscow via EBay and it’s worked out fine.